How long on overdue cow??..UPDATED

Help Support Steer Planet:

insjockey

Assuming she took on the day you watched the "act", how long before you get worried?

New Simbrah bull on older(8 years) Beefmaster cow who has never had a problem before.

Low birth weight bull (based on EPD's)...first two on the ground were at 60 (heifer) and 70 (bully).

leanbeef

I wouldn't worry about that cow at all. She might go 10 days over her due date...just watch her and make sure she doesn't need help when it's time. I wouldn't worry about her until she puts her tail up and starts her business...then she oughta have a calf on the ground in about 2 hours.

ploughshare

10 days is my rule of thumb.  Mostly had problems with et bull calves taking longer.

obie105

Just make sure she isn't in the first stage of labor and isn't progressing. Had that happen to me a couple of weeks ago. A big older cow with an embryo so we knew when she was due. She paced the fence for a day and isolated herself and I thought for sure she was in the first part of labor but nothing happend. The next afternoon I brought her in and the vet came to check her. I couldnt short person big cow. The calf was backwards and wasnt putting enough pressure on the cervix to dialate. She was in labor but was stuck. We ended up pulling the calf backwards and it worked out for us but the vet said another day and it wouldnt have been so great. It was the first time that had happend to me and I have had them come backwards before.

insjockey

UPDATE..bull calf born a week late. A very big boy...wife sent a pic, not sure on size but this pic is on him at about 10 hours old.

Attachments

• iPhone pictures 176.png
    iPhone pictures 176.png
    1 MB · Views: 219

leanbeef

I wasn't worried about that one, but glad it went well. Thanks for the update and the picture. That dude ought to grow like crazy!