How long?

Help Support Steer Planet:

Dozer45

I have a cow that lost her mucus plug yesterday around noon or so but has not shown any more signs of labor. How long can they go after losing their mucus plug?

lucysmom

Our experience is it can be over a week.  I think they can actually go a couple of weeks. Watch for her ligaments to relax. Good indicator. Good luck!

Dozer45

lucysmom said:
Our experience is it can be over a week.  I think they can actually go a couple of weeks. Watch for her ligaments to relax. Good indicator. Good luck!

O GEEZ!!!!

Im not very good at seeing their ligaments, any suggestions?

lightnin4

I would describe it as everything on the back end (vulva & surrounding area) just starts looking softer or looser.

shorthorngirl2010

our general rule of thumb, if theyre springing (what others just described with the vulva) and start to bag down, if they loose their plug, we call 7-10 days before calf is on the ground.. or if a low front comes through, that can make them go earlier it seems like lol

Dozer45

lightnin4 said:
I would describe it as everything on the back end (vulva & surrounding area) just starts looking softer or looser.

This poor girl she has looked like that for a week now... I dont know how anything is staying IN she is so loose!!
she bagged up pretty good a few days ago so i know we are right there but man I get in such a hurry.
she must be cooking up a really nice calf I guess