how many cows can you run on a 130 acre corn stalk field for how long

Help Support Steer Planet:

CM Livestock

that is the question  irrigated corn  some grazing on the corners  how many for how long

WFCC

we run 40 head of cows on 30 acres of stalks and it should last us 2 months.  we also feed a few squares bales of grass/alfalfa 3 times a week to keep the protein level up and provide what the stalks dont. JMO

nck21

We are going to be running 85 head on 70 acres of milo stalks for about 7 weeks. Once it gets cold (too late) and theres less to eat we will have to supplement them with alfalfa and brome like WFCC said.

aj

We monitor manure. At first there should be whole kernels of corn in cow pies. When the corn isn't visable you know they aren't getting corn any more. There can be anywhere from one bushel of corn on ground to 50 bushel. Cornstalks are a low quality feed. Once corn runs out you really don't have a whole lot more out there but filler. Added protrin supplement gets you around this. jmo

evermoor

Iowa state University has a few resources availible.  Dr Russels did a lot on grazing corn stover.

aj

Once in a while you might have a nitrate issue. I know I had a neighbor tell me he had cows on stalks and snow. The cornstalks were kinda covered but one knob on the landscape. This particular knob(windswept) had a certain soil condition that made the stalks high nitrate ans he cows wobbling around kinda drunk acting. I thought an interesting story. The rest of the stalk area was ok nitrate wise.

CM Livestock

i had cows act the same last year but it was because they ate to much corn now we put sodium bicarb out free choice and no problems on satlks we also feed liquid protien while on stalks