How much feed

Help Support Steer Planet:

Cricket

I might sound dumb asking this. But I was told a steer should eat 2.5% of it's body weight. But yet some programs do not suggest this. Any thoughts would love to hear them.

AAOK

Most would probably agree, but I think 3% to even 4% is better, especially when they are young, and then back off as necessary later.

farmin female

I think AAOK is probably correct on this.  If you have a spring born calf that you just brought home, he should be weighing somewhere between 500-600 lbs (on average) and its pretty easy to get a healthy happy little dude to eat 20 or more lbs of feed a day.  Additionally, what helps is that calves are more inclined to eat when the weather is cool and if you are light next summer and the heat hits, its hard to put it on them. 

Cricket

Thank you for the information. That definitely helps. Now just to figure out a feed program.

cowman 52

You can usually count on 2 1/2 percent of body weight to just maintain condition-- 3 percent will work to make one gain-- not too many will get past the 3 1/2 percent -- just too much feed and they go off feed fairly often-- every once  in a while you find the 4 percenters--  not very often tho