how much to feed?

Help Support Steer Planet:

big w

So I know you feed 2-3% of their body weight. My question is which should I do. I feed fitters edge and he weighs around700 pounds. There's over a 50 dollar difference each month feeding between 2 and 3 which over 9 months is a big difference.  Or should I feed him as much as hell eat in like 20 min the feed that everday then slowly increase from there?

vc

700 pounds, he should be in the growing stage so he needs to be eating between 2.5 and 3 percent of his body weight right now. The reason you feed for only 30 minutes is to try and get him to eat his feed quickly, some calves just will not do this. If you are feeding him 2.5 to 3% and he is eating it I do not thank I would start taking it away after 30 minutes, unless it takes from one feeding to the next for him to finish. If he is finishing it all at once, even if it takes 45 minutes I just keep going the way you are.

If you are worried about the cost of feed, then you may look for alternatives, but there are risk there to, if he gained 2 pounds a day off of cheaper feed and 3 pounds a day off the fitters edge are you still saving money?

We never really feed more than 25 pounds per day of grain. We did add Calfmanna and Stabilized rice but that was part of the 25 pounds.

AAOK

At 700 pounds, he needs to be consuming 10lbs. twice a day.  Gradually increase to 15lbs twice a day as he hits 1000 pounds, which should do to finish (if the ration is a finisher).
It's always a good idea to pull their feed after about 20 minutes; encourages them eat faster.