how to break show calves

Help Support Steer Planet:

charlie

I have a show steer and he is plain mean is there anything we can do to calme him down .

Show Heifer

I am trying to be really nice when I say this: No. If he is "mean", then you need to save yourself, and others from getting hurt and sell him ASAP. Find another calf and enjoy life.
Again, I said that in the nicest possible tone.

shortyjock89

I agree. If he is really MEAN, it's not worth it. I've tried to make the mean ones workable, and the truly bad to the bone ones never come around. Dumb ones, however, just take a practiced hand and some time. Could you tell us what he's doing that you take as mean? 

I'm really not condescending, it's just hard to help ya if we don't know what kind of shenanigans he's up to.

herefordfootball

We had a super mean carney man heifer. We worked with her and worked with her. Dad and I put more work into her than the other three calves put together. Some of them just have that "attitude". We tried and tried. We bred her once and she didnt take. We tried breeding her again( we had to have two halters on her to get her to the chute). She got away from two of us and tried running me into the fence. Then I said its time to take her to the sale barn. I wondered to myself why I put the extra money and hard work into her... Save yourself the money and possible hurt. Nothing is worth getting hurt over.

knabe

charlie said:
I have a show steer and he is plain mean is there anything we can do to calme him down .

is he being mean, or just in high gear and defensive or is he going after people planning out what he is doing?

charlie

he is real nervous and he charges at you and tries jumping a 6 ft fence the whole time you are in with him

shortyjock89

How long have you had him? Has he been this way since you've had him? Did he do anything similar before you brought him home?

knabe

put some other calves in there with him.  feed little bits at a time very often for association.  then hang around starting for a minute after feeding, leave, feed some more wait like 2 minutes and increase by a minute each time you feed.  could be 20 times.  expect nothing.  do this for a few days.  expect nothing.  don't lean or reach for the calf.  don't even look in his eyes.  feed by putting tid bits on the ground just under the pipes and walk away.

forbes family farms

If your calf is mean don't risk your life and others peoples life by trying to get the calf show broke i advise you to sell the calf asap. My experience:

I went to a local show calf sale bought a heifer and a steer got both of the calves loaded fine got home and, let the steer and the heifer out into a pen the steer tried to jump fences etc, i wanted to prove to my dad that i could get the steer show broke he laughed for hours i told him watch and learn i grabbed the halter on the steer took it in our leading pen and lead the steer after about only 3 minutes he ran and knocked me over and kicked me almost steeped on my neck it wasn't fun i learned and watched from my mistake.

crozz

We picked up an awesome steer this year around 600#, we had him halter broke fairly quick, my 15 yr old daughter led him in the pasture just fine. Then one day soon he must of remembered something and was crazy.  Now he will be in the freezer, my pleasure