How to correctly set up a steer?

Help Support Steer Planet:

showmom37

OK...comin from the new family here in Texas.  Workin on our steer and lookin for tips, advice, etc to teach our son how to correctly set up his steer.  I personally don't have a clue where to begin...my husband is a little familiar, but the last time he showed a steer was 20 years ago.  So, anything you guys can give us on setting up would be great.  Also, anything on showmanship..what do they look for, questions they ask, most important part of showmanship, what catches the judges eye the most...all that kind of stuff.  Our judges is John Rayfield (I think that is his name).  Thanks so so much everyone!  Oh and our son is 12, but a big boy, strong! 

fed_champions

From the rear view, a calf needs to be set up square to his corners, both front and back feet in line with each other and wide as he is. From the profile, the front feet need to be square and wide, and the back feet should be staggered with the steers left foot 6-8 inches in front of the other and wide between them. look at  some magazines, all the pictures will show cattle set up for the profile.

Dozer45

for a novice I would stick to simply square him up. Just try and get the steer to stand with all four feet directly under him like a " Table". The best thing to do is get the steer to learn to do this himslef or atleast attempt it on his own. Everyone has their own way but here is how I like to teach my calves ( I use to show horses so I built off that)

I like to use voice commands or "clucks" and "Kisses". To my cattle a kiss means walk, hoew means stop, and cluck means to set your feet up. The first step is to cluck to the calf and then use their halter to make them move their feet, always trying to get them in the correct position. They catch on pretty quickly that a cluck means to move their feet, this is when I start using my showstick to refine the movement. I cluck and allowe the calf to place itslef I reward them with a belly scrach and then cluck again while placing the feet in the correct spot. This will take a while to get the calf to fully understand but with lots of work they will soon correctly set themself up by simply clucking.

I hope this helps I have some diagrams that will show this better, I will try and post them

firesweepranch

We don't use sounds like with the horses. Our cattle just are so practiced that when you stop they are automatically already set. Know when you are stopping, and walk them into position. It looks more natural than poking with a stick and setting feet. Plus, we have been to NUMEROUS shows where, in showmanship, the judge takes away your stick and you must set your animal without it! Just train them to walk into it. It is like training a dog to sit, just practice!  ;D

cornershack

my daughters all three had steers that would set to the halter. push means this pull means that. just a touch on the should means move this foot. he'll soon learn his own tricks each steer will work a little different. this year sarah had a steer that she taught "set it" meant set your back feet. it does take a lot of practice. and have a timer get him set with in 5 to 10 seconds. and look for that judge. "know" where he is all the time even when setting feet. you practice being the judge, oh yeah and get a mirror, so he can see the calf set and make adjustments himself. then he won't need someone at ring side pointing at feet. distracting him.  most important, have fun!

showmom37

Dozer45 said:
for a novice I would stick to simply square him up. Just try and get the steer to stand with all four feet directly under him like a " Table". The best thing to do is get the steer to learn to do this himslef or atleast attempt it on his own. Everyone has their own way but here is how I like to teach my calves ( I use to show horses so I built off that)

I like to use voice commands or "clucks" and "Kisses". To my cattle a kiss means walk, hoew means stop, and cluck means to set your feet up. The first step is to cluck to the calf and then use their halter to make them move their feet, always trying to get them in the correct position. They catch on pretty quickly that a cluck means to move their feet, this is when I start using my showstick to refine the movement. I cluck and allowe the calf to place itslef I reward them with a belly scrach and then cluck again while placing the feet in the correct spot. This will take a while to get the calf to fully understand but with lots of work they will soon correctly set themself up by simply clucking.

I hope this helps I have some diagrams that will show this better, I will try and post them
Diagrams would be awesome.  I have seen on here and in the research that I have been doing that using sounds or words seem to be more common than what I would have thought.  A lot like training a dog :).  I guess being new to all of this I didn't realize that a steer would respond to your voice or sounds in such a way.  This has been extremely helpful and ANY thing else you could tell us would be wonderful!  Thanks again for your input!