How to fit a Cow for cow calf pair

Help Support Steer Planet:

IowaAngus

How would you recommend to fit the cow? Should she look realistic? or poofed up and hairy?  <cowboy>

rtmcc

l like the cows slicked out for a summer show.  Need to have some flesh on them, but need to look like a cow.  we usually do tail heads and the tail.  Not much on the legs unless just to smooth out some rough spots.  If the calf has good enough hair I like to spend a little more time on them.

Ron
<cowboy>

The Show

I would say fit the cow, but don't go all out. Pull their legs and glue their tails and call it good.

Cattledog

When we show cow-calf pairs we generally fit the tailhead and tail.  Depending on the leg hair on the cow we will fit that if we can make it look natural.  As far as the calf goes it depends on the age and how hot it is.  If it's a young calf and it's a hot day we don't do a whole lot.  If the calf gets over-heated I guarantee you it will get sick! 

wowcows

There you go Zack, you just read it from one of the ole' timers. OR maybe it is ole' Ron is just getting old and it is getting to hard for him to get back up. <beer>Not sure what poofing is!

forbes family farms

We usual just do the tail head and the head might do a little work on the legs if there is anything to work with we don't go all out, on the calf we do the head and the legs and the tail head. We just go simple.

rtmcc

wowcows said:
There you go Zack, you just read it from one of the ole' timers. OR maybe it is ole' Ron is just getting old and it is getting to hard for him to get back up. <beer>Not sure what poofing is!
Just remember who is "older" in this deal Harry!
And ya, it is getting harder to get back up.
<beer>

Dozer45

I like to look at it this way... We fit a steer to who off what he produces which is muscle, so we should make the cow look nice but really take the time to show off what she produces which is the calf. So if we can we tend to spend a lot more time clipping and grooming the calf then the cow.