How to make wet beet pulp more appetizing?

Help Support Steer Planet:

SRC

Just wondering if there are any tricks of the trade when it comes to making wet beet pulp more appetizing? already adding molasses and it doesnt seem to be doing much, heifers seem to be pretty skeptical of it. they pick at it a bit and eat it slowly... they finish but just don't seem to be very aggresive. Any thoughts?

twistedhshowstock

How long have you been feeding the beat pulp? A lot of it is just newness sometimes.  One thing that makes them like it more, but I hate to do in this heat is cook it.  I just take whatever amount of water I would normally put in it and warm it with a bucket heater and then pour it and the beat pulp into either a 5 gallon bucket with a tight securing lid or one of those big water coolers that the lid screws on.  Let it sit for about 10-15 minutes...the heat of cooking it brings out some of the natural sweetness of the beatpulp.  I just hate giving them hot feed when its already hot outside.  If you have trouble getting them to eat beat pulp you can try something like Full Tank it does basically the same thing as beat pulp its just generally more pallatable.  One thing is though you dont want to get Full Tank wet before feeding it

Moezmom

We have one steer that prefers his dry and another that likes his just dampened.  As long as we mix it in well with their grain they don't seem to notice! 

EATBEEF11

we feed it wet and let it soak for 15 min.... which we also have other feed in the bucket

JDman

I would try Depth Charge, its a new product by Purina. It has the same affects as beet pulp, just lasts longer. Feed about two pounds at morning and night. About 11 dollars for a 25 pound bag.

OLD WORLD SHORTIE

Feed it dry and mix it well with the sweet feed. Never really had an issue with them not eating it dry, sometimes they will leave the finer stuff behind but that is expected. :-\

rjb

Wet down the beet pulp then mix in liquid molasses. Mix with feed done this the last couple yrs and both steers and heifers have gone to it great

Hilltop

I find that soaking it for 15-20 min. in warm water makes it more appetizing to our critters...and it being on the wetter side too( adding a lil' too much water!! oops!).. and then stir it in with feed.. and they just seem to gobble it right up!

Latest posts