How to put 100lbs on a show steer in one month

Help Support Steer Planet:

johndeerechick

rinse him down multiple times a day. and let him just free choice feed just moniter how much he eats so he wont bloat. don't pump him with water because when he weighs in he will be a false weight, and when you walk in that show ring he will be smaller and wont compeate against the steers with the actual weight.

SlickTxMaine

johndeerechick said:
don't pump him with water because when he weighs in he will be a false weight, and when you walk in that show ring he will be smaller and wont compeate against the steers with the actual weight.

You would never want to fill with water to get into a heavier class, but if it's the difference of showing the animal, or staying home, I'd fill him with water. 

Well were at 19 days till fair.... He is feeling alot better.. Been on the probiotics and now eating hay pretty good... Eating around 15-18 lbs of grain a day also... Been keeping him as cool as we can with fans and rinsingin him off with water... He is a picky one though... Have to keep flufing the hay or wont eat it.  LOL  Tried the hay net but he uses that to scratch himself with not eat.... At least he is doing better.. Weighed him last Tuesday and was 1000lbs... Need to be 1030 by fair but hoping he will be more...Thanks all for the help this is a great site.

Okay thanks again to everyone who has belped me in the last month.. we are 2 weeks from fair and we weighed and he is at 1024...That is at a regular scale for cattle.  We need to be at least at 1030lbs... I think we will make it...

Thanks and everyone have a wonderful fair!!!!

We weigh in the same time we bring to the fair...Its from like 7 am to 11 am... we haul to the grounds which is like 2 miles from my house then we just unload and weigh.... Not too much of a wait either... So probably around 30 min to 45 min at the most.. Why?

Okotoks

Melissa Ridihalgh said:
We weigh in the same time we bring to the fair...Its from like 7 am to 11 am... we haul to the grounds which is like 2 miles from my house then we just unload and weigh.... Not too much of a wait either... So probably around 30 min to 45 min at the most.. Why?
You have to allow for a shrink. Weighing in after a short trip should mean it will be minimal but even then it will be 1 to 2%. The more excited and upset they get the bigger the shrink as well as the length of time after moving to weigh in.

farmboy

And by shrink we mean he's going to lose weight on the ride there. Bot much though because it's so close. In my own case I live about 12 miles from the fair and we can lose upwards of 20 pounds just from urine and defecation.

EATBEEF11

we got our steer too big he weighed 1500 lbs but weve shrunk him down to 1435 ig all we did was feed him like 15lbs of feed and has anyone heard of cooked corn tht help alot!

Latest posts