How will beef fare in the future?

Help Support Steer Planet:

Show Heifer

simtal, you are correct, the show industry has nothing to do with the "real cattle industry" (You said it, not me - all comments should be directed at simtal). BUT it is what is publicized and what people relate to. Have you ever heard of a feedlot carcass getting banned from the line at a slaughter plant? No? Funny, it happens quite often. But you DO HEAR about the show steer that was DQ'd. About every year.  The average city person has no idea what goes on on a real farm. But, they do go to the state fairs, they do watch TV and peta is having a ball. See that steer getting its tail twisted? I bet that hurts. See that lamb with a tube on it? I bet that is hot. THAT is the images they see, so that is what they know. They relate what they see and hear at the shows as the "real beef industry". Sad, but true.

The beef industy is getting hounded by the environmentalist due to the overgrazing and abuse of federal/public lands. Does EVERYONE who grazes public land abuse it? I doubt it. But the 2% that do are making it hard for the other 98%. And instead of telling that 2% to get their act together, the cattleman are defending themselves against the public who wants to ban grazing on all federal ground.

Beef has done a terrible job of informing the public that it is healthy to eat. They thought since the west (and America) was built on beef, it would withstand the test of time, but it hasn't. And it is time to start bragging on its benefits, or get used to plucking chickens.

Jill

Show Heifer said:
Beef has done a terrible job of informing the public that it is healthy to eat. They thought since the west (and America) was built on beef, it would withstand the test of time, but it hasn't. And it is time to start bragging on its benefits, or get used to plucking chickens.

I don't agree with most of the post, but this paragraph is 100% correct!  I believe media is 99% of our problem in the beef industry, I don't think most people know there is a show industry, they don't have a clue what a beef show is, most have never heard of a dq'd animal, but all of them have seen on the nightly news that we have mad cow disease, beef abuse at the locker plants, swine flu (to most ag is ag) and hormones in the meat is one of the top fears ( my mother would be one of those).  Many of the issues we are dealing with have come from the dairy industry, but they have done a great job of banding together and putting out a great marketing campaign much like the Angus deal.  They have put a human spin on dairy and who could refuse the adorable Borden Cow or the California Cow that can actually talk to the lambs.  Like it or not, as long as the AMA and Oprah think it's not a good thing, the future looks bleak, unless we can get some real data and a consistant product, our future is in trouble.

Telos

Jill, I agree too.

The Beef industry is going to have to lean up and portray a more natural image.

Research and development will be key in creating new packaging and preparation techniques that are easily utilized.

I don't think it is practical trying to breed a more tender or better marbled animal. Single trait selection has always got breeders into trouble.

knabe

Telos said:

I don't think it is practical trying to breed a more tender or better marbled animal. Single trait selection has always got breeders into trouble.

that's two traits.  add in thickness, fertility, soundness, bw, decent performance not to an extreme, femininity, masculinity, lack of defects, flat bone, decent foot size, polled.

simtal

Show Heifer said:
simtal, you are correct, the show industry has nothing to do with the "real cattle industry" (You said it, not me - all comments should be directed at simtal). BUT it is what is publicized and what people relate to. Have you ever heard of a feedlot carcass getting banned from the line at a slaughter plant? No? Funny, it happens quite often.it happens to animals not showed too But you DO HEAR about the show steer that was DQ'd. About every year.or they avoid the issue and send the steer to the zoo   The average city person has no idea what goes on on a real farm. But, they do go to the state fairs, they do watch TV and peta is having a ball. See that steer getting its tail twisted? I bet that hurts. See that lamb with a tube on it? I bet that is hot. THAT is the images they see, so that is what they know. They relate what they see and hear at the shows as the "real beef industry". Sad, but true.totally agree, not sure what the answer is, probably education. However, it seems that we can tell people the truth and they still don't like it

Jill said:
Many of the issues we are dealing with have come from the dairy industrythe average american thinks a holstein is a beef cow, but they have done a great job of banding together and putting out a great marketing campaign much like the Angus deal.  They have put a human spin on dairy and who could refuse the adorable Borden Cow or the California Cow that can actually talk to the lambs. 

Telos

knabe said:
Telos said:

that's two traits.  add in thickness, fertility, soundness, bw, decent performance not to an extreme, femininity, masculinity, lack of defects, flat bone, decent foot size, polled.

Knabe- I forgot. Not single but double trait selection.  ;D  Just as long as you're keeping all those other traits in mind (multiple trait selection), then you'll be OK.    <cowboy>

JbarL

30deg 17&#039; 11.73 N 81deg 35&#039;59.94&q
Jill said:
Show Heifer said:

They have put a human spin on dairy and who could refuse the adorable Borden Cow or the California Cow that can actually talk to the lambs. 

isnt that the truth....humans are the only mammals that continue to drink "milk" after adolosance.....why??...because weve always been told we need  to drink "at least"  3 glasses a day.....and who's been telling us this for the last  50 ys??....the milk industry... ;)

i think beef marketing is to hung up on tying to sell to the " weekend cookout" crowd....and not the beef "industry" as a whole.......lets face it...when it comes to "retail price".....pork and chicken are considiberly cheaper..and its families of 3 or four were trying to market.....as a consumer its much more economical to buy beef on the rail......thats the only way beef can "catch on " and compete again i believe..price....ive found myself more of a freezer salesman than anything this year  :D ...the beef "package" sells itsself.......jbarl

Telos

JbarL, I agree.  It's really not as much the industry itself, but the way it's marketed.

There is a new dynamics occurring which compounds the problem. A number of my customers are starting to come to me complaining about their "grass fed steak" they bought. They are consistently disappointed, saying it was virtually uneatable. The consumer is looking for a leaner product and we are not delivering one that is palatable but only of poor quality. This can't be good.  In addition, now we have a product which is getting a reputation for not tasting very good. This is where we need to do more research leaner beef cuts and develop a more desirable product.

Jill

Telos said:
This is where we need to do more research leaner beef cuts and develop a more desirable product.

While I agree with you, this is the same statement that has been made for the past 10-15 years and from where I stand very little actual progress has been made.

knabe

JbarL said:
isnt that the truth....humans are the only mammals that continue to drink "milk" after adolosance.....why??...because weve always been told we need  to drink "at least"  3 glasses a day.....and who's been telling us this for the last  50 ys??....the milk industry... ;) wrong.  the cow was a walking refrigerator centuries before there was advertising.  some people live almost exclusively on milk and they've never seen a comercial.

i think beef marketing is to hung up on tying to sell to the " weekend cookout" crowd....and not the beef "industry" as a whole...(hm now that's the best thing you've ever said)....lets face it...when it comes to "retail price".....pork and chicken are considiberly cheaper..and its families of 3 or four were trying to market.....as a consumer its much more economical to buy beef on the rail......thats the only way beef can "catch on " and compete again i believe..price....ive found myself more of a freezer salesman (hopefully the freezer is a loss leader) than anything this year  :D ...the beef "package" sells itsself.......jbarl

JbarL

knabe said:
JbarL said:
... ;) wrong.  the cow was a walking refrigerator centuries before there was advertising.  some people live almost exclusively on milk and they've never seen a comercial.

what other mammal doesnt wean its young off of milk ??...some people live on almost nothing but fish and rice, as well
....look what the ethnic goat meat market has done in the last 4 yrs....have you ever seen a goat meat commercial ?
im not marketing everone who has a tv....just ones the who want to sit down and take a look at what they are  paying a year in beef at retail price vs. what is available to them right in there own back yard...at 2/3 less total cost.....everyones not built for it....but alot are...
wouldn't it be nice if folks could get a decent rate short term loan from there local bank/credit union each year for there yearly beef purchase.... ;)...

knabe

JbarL said:
what other mammal doesnt wean its young off of milk ??...some people live on almost nothing but fish and rice, as well we are omnivores, don't really need anyone telling me i can't drink milk.
....look what the ethnic goat meat market has done in the last 4 yrs....have you ever seen a goat meat commercial ? seen goat commercials out here.  that's because illegal aliens and chain migration from 1986 and manuals in 6 languages has come out into the open being essetially sancitoned by the government.  when the hispanics settled down, so did their tastes as they are no longer transitory.
im not marketing everone who has a tv....just ones the who want to sit down and take a look at what they are  paying a year in beef at retail price vs. what is available to them right in there own back yard...at 2/3 less total cost.....everyones not built for it....but alot are...
wouldn't it be nice if folks could get a decent rate short term loan from there local bank/credit union each year for there yearly beef purchase.... ;)...why not just save for it ahead of time?  it would be cheaper still.  why reinforce not saving?  credit is for business opportunities that outprice living expenses.  we DO NOT need to add smaller ways to go into debt for living expenses.

JbarL

knabe said:
JbarL said:
why not just save for it ahead of time?  it would be cheaper still.  why reinforce not saving?  credit is for business opportunities that outprice living expenses.  we DO NOT need to add smaller ways to go into debt for living expenses.

that would be great....many people do pay cash....and it is still cheaper....but .in reference to progress not made the last 10/15 yrs, seems to me at the commercial end some great strides have been made.( m arbeling/ carcass weight/ ect)...but still most cant afford up front rail and packing charges....why not work on  that end of the "businees"....the relationship i have with the credit union gal  i belong to has been just as an important a "partner" as my feed guy and or/ packer guy....alot of people "can" afford it....just not all due at once...i think thats the marketing niche that has the most room for "progress"  now ....help folks over that hump....and ya can sell some beef....jmo  ...jbarl

Telos

Have you guys seen the new packaging with the broccoli and both the aged and white cheddar cheese inside? You just Microwave it for two minutes and you have the best steamed broccoli you've ever eaten. The buyer at our local Kroeger can't keep enough in the store. I steam broccoli all day at my restaurant but I will not cook it at home because I'm sick of it. But this broccoli with the way it's packaged is really good to eat and I now make it often at home. The ease of cooking and the taste is what attracts me to buy it.

My point is, there is still plenty of room to come up with new concepts utilizing beef. Many of the frozen beef products now are primarily from traditional recipes that don't quite work and therefore are inferior IMO. I think this area is wide open for improvement and someone can really capitalize off a good idea that incorporates ease and taste.

knabe

JbarL said:
...just not all due at once...i think thats the marketing niche that has the most room for "progress"  now ....help folks over that hump....and ya can sell some beef....jmo  ...jbarl

i agree in the sense that most people are addicted to credit.  i guess my perspective is from a macroperspective.  but if you won't call me a hypocrite, i guess it's a reasonable idea for those who will never convert and take advantage of them.  but then, i'd almost be like a robber baron.

interesting, both me and you hypocrites on the same issue from different sides. ;)

knabe

yo telos.  yes you are in the right thread!

somehow 6-10 people need to get together on this.  everyone (though just a few) is creative in this area.  on the lowbrow end, what you are talking about for the round etc is the perfect piece to use for ready cook stuff.  i think in the past, everyone has tried to put too much premium pricing and packaging on it and that automatically shrunk the market.

JbarL

knabe said:
JbarL said:
...just not all due at once...i think thats the marketing niche that has the most room for "progress"  now ....help folks over that hump....and ya can sell some beef....jmo  ...jbarl

i agree in the sense that most people are addicted to credit.  i guess my perspective is from a macroperspective.  but if you won't call me a hypocrite, i guess it's a reasonable idea for those who will never convert and take advantage of them.  but then, i'd almost be like a robber baron.

interesting, both me and you hypocrites on the same issue from different sides. ;)

people are addicted to the  high price  of retail beef....pork/chicken/  produces are helping them deal with that addiciton...while local beef producers let the retailers "set the tone" on priceing...the markets in the middle....jbarl

knabe

the only problem is if  you let too many segments extract too much, you have to lower your profits to put them in the picture. (from a macro perspective, i just hope we don't turn beef into a product cycle life of a tech product.  the margin can't support that R&D, marketing budget)  the similarity there would be a new bull versus the oddball monopoly bull like heatwave who only prolongs the inevitable.  consuming on credit has too long of a business cycle and when it crashes, it crashes too hard because change was delayed.