Hypothetical Question.

Help Support Steer Planet:

BroncoFan

Would any of you all or have any of you all ever showed a heifer or steer that was blind in one eye?

coachmac

Wouldnt hesitate.  We showed a a heifer for two years that was blind in the show side eye.  She caught a weed stob when around a month old.  Had to really keep an eye on stuff blowing into the eye as it seemed to get irritated easily.  She did well in the ring and no one was ever able to tell she was blind.  Raised a calf that will see the ring this summer.  ONLY time she ever acted out was a couple months ago and I walked up on the blind side and wiped some grain off her back rump.  Got blasted as hard as I have ever been kicked.  Wasnt mad at the cow, it was my fault.  Lesson learned and I still wouldnt trade her in.  If quality time is spent "sacking out" the animal it should be OK. 

5PCC

I have seen a heifer shown with a blind eye. I was surprised at first, but it did not seem to affect her much. She had a great disposition and she placed in the top two or three in her class.

bmcco39

My sister showed a shorthorn heifer that was completely blind in one eye and partially blind in the other. The heifer never had any problems showing. We kept her after we her show career until she was twelve years old.

BroncoFan

Thank you for your replies. All we can think is between the weather fluctuating as much as it did and dehorning our little heifer it stressed her. She then got dehydrated and weak. We treated her but we really thought she was a goner. All of a sudden she perked up and is doing really well. She's a month old now and will pull through except her one eye.