I-80 calves

Help Support Steer Planet:

jbzdad

well farmer wanna-be... I gotta call you out on that... any donor bull registered with the AMAA has to have DNA type on file with the AMAA... so as soon as someone tries to register an offspring of a donor and the DNA doesn't match up the xxx would really hit the fan ... now mistakes can happen but I'm betting they are verry careful to get the correct straws out... the bull studs, owners and distributors would all have to be crooked... I ain't buyin it...

FarmerWanna-Be

jbzdad said:
well farmer wanna-be... I gotta call you out on that... any donor bull registered with the AMAA has to have DNA type on file with the AMAA... so as soon as someone tries to register an offspring of a donor and the DNA doesn't match up the xxx would really hit the fan ... now mistakes can happen but I'm betting they are verry careful to get the correct straws out... the bull studs, owners and distributors would all have to be crooked... I ain't buyin it...

Thanks for your opinion. I respect that. I am new to this whole AI club calf world and sometimes have to take what I hear others say because I havent had time and experience to make my own opinions. I can see how it would be a major problem if they sent someone the wrong semen and I dont think anyone would risk their business like that.

irh

The calf looks good, would like a couple better pictures though.  I've orderd I-80 and Monopoly 2 for spring breeding.  We have never had any problems with Launter's seman sales.  Sold our highest priced steer out of Powertrip.  We agree that you have to use their bulls to succeed in this business.

chiangus

FarmerWanna-Be

That is very far from the truth.  Please don't post rumors if you don't have any facts or personal experience.

It seems there is always a need to bash those on top. Have you ever thought contacting Lautner's themselves about your concerns.  Visit their site and you plainly see their email address.

FarmerWanna-Be

chiangus said:
FarmerWanna-Be

That is very far from the truth.  Please don't post rumors if you don't have any facts or personal experience.

It seems there is always a need to bash those on top. Have you ever thought contacting Lautner's themselves about your concerns.  Visit their site and you plainly see their email address.

I didnt mean to offend anyone. I just wanted to get others opinions and from everything Ive heard I dont think it is true anymore. I didnt want to bash Lautner. I just wanted to find out if what Ive heard is true and as far as I can tell its not. I am seriously thinking about using there bulls now that I know they dont do things like that. Sorry if it can across the wrong way.

This thread is really about calves out of I-80 so we can get back on that topic.

Till-Hill

Did any of you see I-80 in person??? Seen him last year @ Iowa Beef Expo and it took me 3 seconds to never use him. Alot better Ali sons out there in my opinion...

showsteerdlux

Till-Hill said:
Did any of you see I-80 in person??? Seen him last year @ Iowa Beef Expo and it took me 3 seconds to never use him. Alot better Ali sons out there in my opinion...
Boss saw him at stud and had this to say. He is quite moderate, but definitely has his place IMHO.

hntwhitetail

Till-Hill said:

What did you think his faults were???  I was planning on using him on a few pb angus.

SHAGGY

Didnt read all the posts but I have the opposite opinion as the past poster, seen him in real life and thought he was probably one of the best maine bulls i have seen in a long time. I will also agree with one of the other previous posters in saying I will never buy another straw of semen that has a lautner name behind it, just my opinion.

Till-Hill

He couldn't walk when I seen him. He was stiff and would never make it in a pasture breeding cows the way he looked that day to me.

And Shaggy well if he is good and you seen him he is still a Lautner bull.........

showsteerdlux

Till-Hill said:
He couldn't walk when I seen him. He was stiff and would never make it in a pasture breeding cows the way he looked that day to me.

And Shaggy well if he is good and you seen him he is still a Lautner bull.........
You said you saw him at IBE. Personally I would expect them to be a little stiff after being on display, but maybe thats just me.

Till-Hill

Isn't that what the bull is intended to sire? Calves that will be tied up to be shown for long periods of time? I would think you would want them to be able to walk in the ring? Personally if you need to make an excuse for any bull or a cow there is really no need for them to be in the gene pool. To many dang bulls around, I like using a knife on them I have to make an excuse for.

Miller

I saw the bull back in September at Lautners running in the pasture when we stopped by to look at calves, and I have to agree with Shaggy, he was in my opinion a very nice complete bull that was having absolutely no problem getting around.  I am not saying that he is the next coming of christ or anything like that, but he does have his place.

Ohio1

i saw him at green oak when he sold at the winners circle he looked nice

Till-Hill

Well I guess I will admit defeat but I still won't use him and simply don't like him. Hope everyone's calves turn out but in this business not all of them are.

irh

For one thing every bull is going to work different on a cow.  50% of problems comes from the dam's side also.  You can get a good calf one year, use the same bull next and get a piece of cramp.  I think picking a bull is like playing the lottery.

kattleluver

I have been told by someone that saw him in the flesh that he is very small. It had been recommended to me by a few people that I use him on my heifers. I want a calf that isn't going to die or kill my heifer cause it's to big. I used Extra K205 of my hairy bear heifer and he came out SMALL but weighed 600 at 6 months. I worry about these I-80 calves not growing as well.

I also agree it's the female too. I have a black baldie old cow that we've bed to hide n watch and the calves are soooo similar it's scary, but there are many times it doesn't turn out that well...

irh

I have orderd some seman on I-80 for the purpose of using him on heifers.  I believe everyone would agree that we all want a live calf out of a heifer.  personally We're scared to use some of the bulls out there until the third calf.  We had a couple of train wrecks last year with heatwave, never again.  Hope I-80 will work, if not go back to angus,  That's what we bred our heifer's to this year.

Miller

Agreed with cattle lover, he is not the biggest creature in the world, hence that is why he is being promoted as a "potential" calving ease.For my 2 cents, he was nicely balanced, long necked, and sound. For the amount of muscle that he had, I thought that his bone and foot size was nice.  We bred him to about 12 first calf heifers, first one is due around 2/22. Most of them were more clubby bred stuff... a couple of frictions, a couple of heatwaves, a q-dog, a smooth sailing and the rest were monopoly's.