i 80 question

Help Support Steer Planet:

shortii

Has anyone used him on shorthorn cattle? I have a moderate framed cow that out of her 5 calves she has had 4 pretty stout purebred bull calves that I made steers. I thought I would play around with how I would breed her this year and I really like the looks of I 80. I was wondering if anyone has seen any i 80 calves out of shorthorn cows and what do they look like?

mark tenenbaum

shortii said:
simmyman67 said:
I would use his sons Road Trip or I-90 on a shorty before I used him.

Where could I find pics of them? Front page of this deal-DENVER pics.Ive been known to raise a Shorthorn or two-you might want to check out the Incredible Hulk on here-clean Smilin Bob out of a MeyerXHarrietta daughter-Bulls not-withstanding-2 of the greatest composite cows in recenet history (Foxie Moxie and Harrieta)-and probably alot easier calving than anything before them-all of the above-work on Shorthorns by pedigree(s) O0

vet tech

I would definitely not use a unproven i80 son before i80 who ha surly proven himself and is one of the hottest bulls out there now!

Cardinal_Crest_Shorthorns

We used him on a white shorthorn heifer out of Homedale Blizzard. We used him mostly just for calving ease, which worked, she calved unassisted with no problems what so ever. She had a blue roan bull calf that we steered. He's pretty small framed, I worry about if he'll get big enough. He's super thick and made really cool though, should hold his own in the light weight division, or we will see anyways. But I'm sure we will use him on shorthorn heifers again in the future, we are happy so far.

RankeCattleCo

Shortii-
If I were you, I would save that I-80 for a first or second calf heifer.  Honestly, depending on how your cow looks- frame size, length, that kind of stuff- I would use the new bull from Rodgers (?? don't quote me on that) Hard Whiskey or a bull like Ali 2 if you don't want the price of Ali.  If you aren't necasarily looking for a main influenced calf, I would suggest Walks Alone, especially if the calves out of her have been stout, you'll have a double stout calf  (thumbsup)

Walks Alone/Hard Whiskey should give you better steers.
Ali2/I-80 should give you better heifers.

Just my reccomendation, but it's all up to personal preference and what bull can correct the flaws on your cow.

flyintale

Soehnlen Cattle Co. said:
I would definitely not use a unproven i80 son before i80 who ha surly proven himself and is one of the hottest bulls out there now!

I would definitely have to disagree with this!  It takes a believer to make a proven bull.  It is hard to make a proven bull without giving him a shot and seeing what he can throw.  I-80 was once in the same spot.....

jbzdad

Cardinal Crest... how old is your calf?  the calf I kept for a bull has really grown the last 4 mos.. about a year old now and probably 950-1000.. certainly wouldn't have a problem getting to steer weight on full feed... he has been on grass hay and about 12 pounds of grain a day since november  but has been on some grain since weaning

vet tech

Flyin' Tale Farms said:
Soehnlen Cattle Co. said:

I would definitely have to disagree with this!  It takes a believer to make a proven bull.  It is hard to make a proven bull without giving him a shot and seeing what he can throw.  I-80 was once in the same spot.....
Why take the chance? Use i80 he is on fire right now an his calves are extremely marketable. Buyers want hot bulls. I80 is hot and works, it's a no brainier for me. So many bulls get promoted every year in the club calf world and how many actually do what i80 has, or like walks alone did? Not many.

Cardinal_Crest_Shorthorns

jbzdad said:
Cardinal Crest... how old is your calf?  the calf I kept for a bull has really grown the last 4 mos.. about a year old now and probably 950-1000.. certainly wouldn't have a problem getting to steer weight on full feed... he has been on grass hay and about 12 pounds of grain a day since november   but has been on some grain since weaning

He is 11 months, I havent had him on a set of scales yet, hopefully I will soon though, probably when I tag him in which will be in a week of two. If I had to guess a weight I would put him around 750 or 8. Hes super thick and heavy muscled, just small framed.

King Cattle Co.

Hendrix cattle co. has some pics of I-80 calves out of a sin city cow in the semen and embryos page on here. looked like a good match (clapping)

shorthorn guy

I have seen people use I-80 on shorthorns and they sure have had a lot of luck. I know that is what we are breeding all of our shorthorn heifers to and I have bred 2 cows to him. His calves are sure good and there is a high maine out of him that is one of the most dominate show heifers out there so far. I wouldnt be afraid to use him on shorthorns.