I-80 vs. Grizzly

Help Support Steer Planet:

grandchamp58

I have a second calving heifer that i need to breed. She is very maternal: she is at least 75% angus with a touch of maine and a little dash of chi. She has angus maternal traits however she has alot more power than an average angus cow. She has too thick of a front end for me, id really like to clean her up and she is pretty leggy. I want to keep her depth, soundness, and expression but maybe add a little more hair and bone too. I was thinking more on the grizzly side due to her being so leggy but if you guys could compare the two that would be great. Thanks!

Mainevent

I-80 will drop her frame score, and do everything you are wanting to happen. I don't think he will add very much power but won't take anything away from the cow. Just my opinion.

ejoe326

I'm in the minority of most I have talked to or read about but I didn't like our Grizzly calves at all.  We used him on a variety and he didn't work here.

I'm not real convinced I-80 will add bone but I have seen a couple other places that were heavier boned than the cow.  Our I-80 calves aren't due until March but I used him on cows that sound similar to yours.

Have you thought about something like GCC Whizard?  I'm liking our Whizards more each day.  Right now I'd say he added bone, a little hair, and a little flashier look to them than I expected.

micpanda

I had an I-80 heifer last year. This heifer had plenty of rib shape, bone, lots of hair! she just had her first calf about a week ago, so far she's been a ggreat mama too!