I-80

Help Support Steer Planet:

nathan572

My rule has always been to breed my heifers to low birthweight Angus bulls, but I fell into the hype about I-80. I bred a who made who heifer to I-80 looking forward to that 70 #  calf and today I learned my lesson. After the cow tried for two hours I penned her up and started the pulling. Once I seen the head I know it wouldn't be any fun. After an hour of pulling and rotating the calf because of hip lock we finally got the monster 130# calf on the ground. Now he still has not got up or nursed, but still hoping for the best. I learned my lesson to always breed my heifers to those low birthweight Angus bulls.

Attachments

• rps20120304_214518_868.jpg
    rps20120304_214518_868.jpg
    118 KB · Views: 637

gary89

Been there done that. Not with I-80, but others. Thanks for posting as a reminder and the best of luck with your calf.

nathan572

So, all the experience on this board, its been roughly 8 hours now, what's the chances of a healthy calf. His face is swelled half its normal size, he shows no desire to stand, and doesn't try to suck a bottle at all. I gave him shots of vitamins, penicillin, and bannimine, I also got two bags of colosterm, tubed into him. All I know to do now is wait till morning.

R1Livestock

Sometimes they recover quicker if they are in room temperature (if he isn't already).  Sometimes they aren't going to recover anyway, so it doesn't matter.  Don't forget to treat the heifer and all you can do with the calf now is wait.  If he's got colostrom and some banamine or something for swelling, you've done your part.

blinggirl

this makes me slightly nervous , because we bred 2 first calf heifers to I 80 bc of his calving ease ..and no bad reports on size . if i can ask what was the condition of the heifer ? heavy ? or normal good bc?

OH Breeder

With some of these big calves it takes them bit longer to get going. You may have to feed him a few more times and yes getting his core temperature up with help metabolism. I am leery about using bulls an til I am sure they are calving ease and even then you can get some big one's every now and then. The big one's take more time and he had a hard time getting in to this world. Bantamine is suppose to help with swelling etc.

gary89

nathan7522 said:
So, all the experience on this board, its been roughly 8 hours now, what's the chances of a healthy calf. His face is swelled half its normal size, he shows no desire to stand, and doesn't try to suck a bottle at all. I gave him shots of vitamins, penicillin, and bannimine, I also got two bags of colosterm, tubed into him. All I know to do now is wait till morning.

Don't give up. Keep tubing him if needed. I don't like giving them shots-makes his neck soreif given there. I usually just put some on their tongue. Keep working him, try to help him stand. Sometimes this helps. How is the heifer doing? Is she licking him and giving him attention? Sometimes it just takes a while. Make sure and not get any milk in his lungs, if you do he is for sure a goner. I always kink the hose before removing to make sure some is not still running out. Good luck- I have had this same situation numerous times and I know it sucks. Sometimes you can save them. Sometimes not.

Freerider

Just curious as to what else is in the heifer's pedigree.

Who Made Who x ?

Freddy

North central -- Nebraska on highway 183 - 30 mi
One of my friends used OCC HOMER on a xbred Irish Whiskey grandaughter and said it was only 80 some lbs but had a tough time getting it out ,took him almost an hour of rotating and soaping before they finally got it out...It was just to  thick made from the shoulders back ....
calfs O K but stressed it pretty good ....

nathan572

blinggirl said:
this makes me slightly nervous , because we bred 2 first calf heifers to I 80 bc of his calving ease ..and no bad reports on size . if i can ask what was the condition of the heifer ? heavy ? or normal good bc?
this heifer wasn't fat at all, nor was she skinny. She hasn't been fed any grain and I don't feed any rich or good alfalfa until after they calve. Her body condition was normal. Just remember, never trust those clubby cattle for being calving ease.

trouble3412

This might be to late to try.  When ever we have a calf with a swollen head/ tongue, we always take a handfull of sugar and rub it on its tongue and mouth.  it takes the swelling down.  I have no idea why, but it does work.  It is a trick my dad taught me growing up.

GoWyo

Nathan7522 -- what is the dam side of your Who heifer?  Is there some big BW lurking in the pedigree somewhere?  What was the BW on your heifer?

nathan572

GoWyo said:
Nathan7522 -- what is the dam side of your Who heifer?  Is there some big BW lurking in the pedigree somewhere?  What was the BW on your heifer?
this heifer is a who x simmi. Her birthweight was 67#. The dam to this girl has never had a calf weigh over 84 lbs. She had a Q-dog bull this year that only weighed 71# two weeks ago and I think this I-80 calf still weighs more than that calf does today. I'm not saying that I-80 is a bad bull, but I will not use him on my heifers. Actually next year I will breed my older cows to him, I think he has really nice calves.

nathan572

Soehnlen Cattle Co. said:
Was it past due? How late was it?
she calved at 286 days but didn't worry much about it. Her mother every year will calve at or around the 297 day mark, so I figured she would be a little late.

Limiman12

There are always flukes.......

Hard to throw a bull bed as much as I80 with good results Under the bus over one bad one.  Don't blame you for not wanting to use him again, but unless I hear many more similar stories I will likely use him on heifers.   

Good luck with the calf. 

DakotaCow

Unfortunately this is not the first time I have heard of this failsafe "calving ease" bull to not actually work on heifers. Consider yourself lucky that the heifer is alive and the calf is also. True, i80 has worked successfully on many heifers but I know of more than a handful of dead calves and wrecked heifers that will never breed again due to this bull. Personally I have had naughty pine calves come in the lower 80s.....does that mean I should use him on heifers.......nope. I always have and always will advocate using PROVEN calving ease bulls on heifers. hope the calf and heifer are able to pull through and she is with our herd for many years to come.