I need help determining cause of death

Help Support Steer Planet:

okcc

When i went out to feed the goats this morning i found that i was missing one. After exploring the 2 acre lot i discovered the contents of the  visceral mass ( organs) neatly in a pile with no bite marks or harm to the organ walls. I have searched every in of the lot and have yet to find the carcass. another weird thing is that there is no blood anywhere. It seems to be too clean of a kill to be caused by an animal but i dont want to jump to conclusions. There is also no where in the fence where something could have dragged the carcass out. Does this sound like it could be an animal or is it probably the works of a human?

Show Heifer

Fact: Dogs, Coyotes, Vultures, Eagles, and ANY pedator kill the animals TO EAT THE GUTS.
Fact: You had goat guts in your pasture.
Fact: Humans like meat and not organs.
Fact: You found no carcass (meat) in your pasture.

You draw your own conclusions.

shortyjock89

Show Heifer said:
Fact: Dogs, Coyotes, Vultures, Eagles, and ANY pedator kill the animals TO EAT THE GUTS.
Fact: You had goat guts in your pasture.
Fact: Humans like meat and not organs.
Fact: You found no carcass (meat) in your pasture.

You draw your own conclusions.

I agree. Sounds like someone might have paid a late night visit to your goat pen. 

okcc

zach said:
yea, animals can't gut another animals and put them in a neat pile
That's what i thought but i was hoping that someone would say something else. I know everyone that lives in the area quite well except for a new family that just moved in. So i want to blame them..... i would normally forget about it but the goat was quite expensive ( i have paid less for show steers than i did for this darn doe).  
and thanks Zach for making me sound like a genius! ;D

farmboy

hey just going off my deer hunting experiences, when you gut a deer, all the organs come together in a nice little pile while the rest of the deer comes with me  (lol)

if you find out who did it, you better get your money back and get the law involved. don't tolerate that bull <cowboy>

Shady Lane

One thing I would wonder about though, if someone came in the night and butchered a goat, would there not be a large obvious blood puddle where they bled it out?

Like everyone has allready said, it is VERY strange that you only find a neat pile of Organs but also strange that their is no, hide, blood, head, legs or other signs of a butcher process.

vc

My guess would be they carried the rest off, finished elsewhere. I bet it is to late to look for boot marks around the goat pen.  Call the law out immediately and if you have trash pickup I would drive around late the night before and do a little investigation. If not look for the buzzards or crows in the next couple of days, they might give you a clue as to where the rest of the dded was done.

herefordfootball

Thats pretty sick someone would do that. Just go around and ask if you can see inside everyones freezer in your area(dont know how big of area you live in) and whoever doesnt want to show.... But I guess you dont want to seem like you're accusing long time friends or anything, but if there is someone new who seems capable, I would start asking questions. Or contact you nearest smith&wesson dealer. What ever works. Good luck!!!

LinZ

Sorry but it certainly sounds like the work of a person. Like said I would look for signs of buzzards to see if  you might can find where the rest of the carcass is. They could have covered up blood with dirt(don't know how your pen is as far as grass, dirt, etc) but if they didn't have a bag to put the carcass in they would have wanted to cover the bloodtrail.
Just a thought..we've had problems with this in the past with cattle being killed and illegal poaching of deer, hogs, etc..

LinZ

herefordfootball

If you know of any good hunting dogs that might be a shot. A long one but its an idea!!! They should be able to differ the blood trail from the primary site. Just an idea though.

okcc

Shady Lane said:
One thing I would wonder about though, if someone came in the night and butchered a goat, would there not be a large obvious blood puddle where they bled it out?

Like everyone has allready said, it is VERY strange that you only find a neat pile of Organs but also strange that their is no, hide, blood, head, legs or other signs of a butcher process.

This is what i was wondering also, why is there no blood? Is it possible for a Hawk/ eagle to do something like this and possibly carry the carcass away? I am guessing the goat weighed 35-40 lbs. I just dont want to falsly accuse anyone, especially the new family who i know nothing about.

farmboy

strangulation? if you cut a deers throat, they don't hardly bleed at all but they do suffocate. think about it, a gun shot could be heard and would leave a big mess. a knife is very quiet

okcc

I agree that a knife is a silent way to kill however is it possible to gut something ands leave no mess? I guess they could have done this over a tarp or something. Someone said something about checking trash and adly enough the trash guy comes tomarrow.

FutureBreeder2013

its kinda gruesome but they could have used their hands or a rope to strangulate the animal hat would leave no blood and they could do an on the stop gut job and carry off their kill.