I need help....

Help Support Steer Planet:

wolfe0322

I recently purchased a steer for a county show that the tag in will be in the first of May. He needs to weight between 500-900 pounds or will be sifted. My problem is he weighs 860 now. How in the world will I keep the weight off.

box6rranch

We held a steer once on straight oats and hay. It was really hard though, he wasn't a happy camper. I'd also make sure he gets a lot of excercise each day.

wolfe0322

The show will be in Oct. and there will be no Weight of gain rules. I'm just affraid of crashing him...

CJC

Where is this show at? I would call you steer committee chairman and ask him about it. I've seen this before at our Ag show. They prefer them to weigh in that range; but it's more the under that they are looking at than the over. 

wolfe0322

I already talked to the committee on being over weight. No Animal over or under the designated weight at tag in. I just hope that I can keep it close then hold him from water and feed for a day or two.

CM Cattle

pattirawson said:
We held a steer once on straight oats and hay. It was really hard though, he wasn't a happy camper. I'd also make sure he gets a lot of excercise each day.
This should work, but it will be hard!

JoeDirt

How about lots of Beet pulp?  to keep his belly full....this expands good and keeps them feeling full

wolfe0322

Thanks for the help. I started him on beet pulp today. I hope this works. He is an awesome steer. He will do really well at this show. <cowboy>

savaged

Hate to say it, but you are probably better off to sell him and get another steer that weighs about 650 lbs. and feed it.   You'll have a heck of a time holding that steer.

Cattledog

wolfe0322 said:
I recently purchased a steer for a county show that the tag in will be in the first of May. He needs to weight between 500-900 pounds or will be sifted. My problem is he weighs 860 now. How in the world will I keep the weight off.

I don't want to be the bad guy and tell you that you don't have a prayer, but if you hold this guy and only let him gain 40lbs. between now and May you will have one sorry looking animal!  I wouldn't even try.  I'd sell him and get something smaller.

Dusty

You could shrink him back from 1050 to 900 pretty easy so that gives you another 150 pounds to play with.

wolfe0322

You could shrink him back from 1050 to 900 pretty easy so that gives you another 150 pounds to play with.

That's my plan. I'm still going to feed him a little along with the beet pulp and all the hay he can eat.He can still gain about 50 lbs a month till then. and hold him the last 2-3 days from food and water all together. that will take alot off of him.

beefy

hold him and shrink him ? man i feel sorry for who evers plate he ends up on. bet they will come back and support that show and sale  ???

CJC

I agree with some of the others sell him. If he as good as you say he is then all you are going to do is hurt him. 

wolfe0322

I want to say thanks to all who replied. I sold the steer and have now purchased another one that is allot lighter. Thanks again. <cowboy>