I researched bull sexed semen a little

Help Support Steer Planet:

jbzdad

Yes it can and has been done, about 90% of resulting embryos are bulls... they can sex FROZEN semen from any bull but if sorted after thawing it seems only to be useful for in vitro fertilization ,not AI or flushes... it sounds like the only clubby bull that has been sorted FOR BULLS and frozen is Hollywood.... he is TH positive.... The cost per 5 million straw of sexed semen is about 150-170 dollars per straw (just for sorting and freezing) and probably use about 3 straws per flush....I think a bull owner has to commit to a fairly large amount of purchased doses to get the procedure done...but I think that the total doses ordered don't have to be from the same bull.. I continue to think that bull sexed semen for flushes is a viable idea... I hope by next spring when I making flush plans that a wider variety of sexed male semen will be available

I called trans ova and talked this over with those guys, they were very informative and helpful...most of this info came from them... they hope some clubby bull owners are interested in freezing sorted semen this fall, if so it would be available next spring

Smith

Spring Creek Farms said:
wow, thanks

I second that.  This has the potential to address many of the pitfalls of breeding with clubby bulls

jbzdad

I think it holds great promise, I would think someone who owned a TH, PHA neg clubby bull (hired man maybe?) would be able to pre sell enough units to take the chance on placing the order ... I know I would place my 750 worth (one flush worth) today.. Bill Slater

I think that some of the Bulls(heat wave and clones) are selling all they can produce right now so those owners are less likely to move to this market

RSC

How many breeders ar using Sexed semen for a single pregnancy? Why don't they pack it tighter? The only way I would consider it is for a flush!

jbzdad

you would only use one straw per AI, cost likely 200-250....probably used mostly with donor cows now because they are the "highest quality" and most likely to yield a return on the investment.... but I think all those guys who walk out to find a clubby bred heifer will wish they had spent the money to have it a bull... I also think as more semen gets sorted the cost per sorting will go down

C-CROSS

There is a rpoduct  call heifer plus and bull plus.  Our daughter works in an ET center in Tex and they are using it with pretty good success.  On set calved and 13 of 14 were heifers.  We are flushing 3 cows tomorrow that we used it on will see.  It costs about 10 a unit to use.

LazyGLowlines

sexing technologies will sex semen for $50 straw AI & $119 ET.  Have to send fresh semen to them and the minimum quantity is 50.  Heard the heifer plus didn't work very well.

TJ

LazyGLowlines & FJLranch... Is sexed semen available on any Lowline bulls?  I know it is on Lexus & the people from Oregon had some sexed semen a few years ago, but I just can't get too excited about either of those options & looking for others.

Heifer plus has been talked about on this board a few times.  I've heard mixed results, but more seem to not like it than like it, FWIW.   

TJ

LazyGLowlines

we've been checking into it for Bluey and maybe Rudy (Red by Design) but it's pretty cost prohibitive at this point. Sexing Technologies requires 50 straw minimum at $50 a straw (for AI - $119 for ET), and doesn't include collection or shipping of course. We'd have to charge $200 straw for AI.  If we get enough interest we'd do it...

FJLranch

I would really like to get some sexed heifer semen. I would guess that the AI semen could be used for IVF. There are some places that will sex straws for you if your using them for IVF at a minimal cost. Making the right decision about what to do in the genetic world is whats tough. The marketable calf to cost ratio can get out of hand fast.

Larry

jbzdad

FJL... Jeff and Stacy at Fischer show cattle are selling heifer sexed on TM Gus,I was blessed to get to go see some of their calves this weekend and really had a good time, I saw some beautiful calves.. if you are thinking shorthorn I think he would be a good choice....There is a Gus/ charloise tan roan steer calf that I still can't get out of my mind

Brad and Julie Nelson have heifer sexed  G. Joe semen,,,, I think he would be a great choice for Maine maternal genetics

FJLranch

TJ said:
LazyGLowlines & FJLranch... Is sexed semen available on any Lowline bulls?  I know it is on Lexus & the people from Oregon had some sexed semen a few years ago, but I just can't get too excited about either of those options & looking for others.

Heifer plus has been talked about on this board a few times.  I've heard mixed results, but more seem to not like it than like it, FWIW.   

TJ

TJ,

We purchased a package of Lowlines from the Goldsberry's in '07.  We helped them out by picking up Durango from Sexing Technologies since we were going to California.  I don't know if the Bill kept his part of the ownership and his owners in California don't have them listed on their website when I visited it in the last two weeks.  I'd love to have Durango semen.

Kim

C-CROSS

On the heifer plus and bull plus, we flushed 2 cows this weekend got 10 and 12 embroys and Jim said the embroys are of excellent quality.  No #2.  So it did not hurt conception.  Won't know til next spring the out come.  Just know what the one flush in TX did that my daughter is working at.  Go to emlabgenetics.com  I think the heifer is about 10 dose and the bull 9.

Latest posts