Ideas on rehabilatating a crazy cow

Help Support Steer Planet:

knabe

i worked at a place for a while and i think i've mentioned this before, but we had cages on the back of a stinger on a pickup, the driver would lower it, help would jump in with calf, do all the stuff, then reverse procedure.

kinda felt good to be up in the air where the cow couldn't get to you.  i guess we always counted on getting the calves calmed.  don't remember too much of a problem, though these were in big pastures and cows were not fed, so it's not like there was any opportunity to calm cows down.

i did get hung up once with a straight fullblood chi, silver in color, and she was just as mean as dog.  got my partner down on the ground and i was beating on her with a 2x4 to get her off him and it had almost no effect.  yeah, she was a nice cow.

Show Heifer

I'm afraid to turn her back out in a pasture and am considering getting rid of her because I don't tolerate crazies. So I'm wondering if any of you cow whisperers have ideas about how to rehabilitate her.

Ok, did I mis-read something? "I don't tolerate crazies...."  Really? She tried to flatten you, tore up a barn, you been trying to catch her for 2 months and then you say you are going to KEEP her for a couple of weeks???????  What did I miss?  YES YOU DO TOLERATE CRAZY COWS.

Sell her. Not next week. But tomorrow.  I am not sure how big she is, but if your lucky she brings $800. That will not pay much of a hospital visit, let alone hospital stay.....

Torch

There are "breeders" and there are "multipliers." The difference between the two are their culling practices. Breeders have culling criteria and stick to them. A multiplier just multiplies the traits, good or bad. Breeders eliminate problems. Multipliers sell them.

The question LN is which are you?

justme

OMG for once I'm agreeing with Showheifer!  Why take a chance??  I find that a crazy cow influences the rest.  Best rehab is the hamburger highway if she was in my pasture.  Becareful, and be safe that is the most important thing I tell my kids

CAB

Gidget, @ our house the protocol is "everyone for themselves" & stay the h..l away from me. That's just for that initial 1/100th of a second when you discover that a cow is coming uncorked & is serious about it. Reminds of an old EXT cow that had a fall calf & I had a cousin's son from Omaha staying with us. I was in my 40s & never could run very fast, the boy was in his teens and could move. We were out cking the cows and low and behold this EXT cow #128 had calved and the calf had some burdock on it's face. The kid wanted me to get it off of the calf and the cow wasn't near so I proceeded to go up to look @ the calf & clean off the burdocks. Well the calf let out a bellour and here comes momma full speed in the middle of nowhere. I of coarse take off & so does my cousin's son, litterally jumping up on my back as we were both running. I'm telling him to get the h..l away from me so that she has 2 moving targets instead of one. We laugh about it and she never caught either of us that day. She is though the only cow so far that has gotten me down and tried to drive into an early grave. She had to go that time.
  Cade sorry for your semen loss, but the loss of that EXT semen may have saved you some hurt. Just kidding a little. I would use EXT if I had the semen. Love the udder attachment on  those daughters. Never have seen a bull sire cows with better udder structure than old EXT.

LN

Time to put this subject to rest. She's in the sale pen with her ticket coming up soon. I guess it was one of those things where in your head is doesn't sound so bad, but once you put it in writing, then you can clearly see the writing on the wall. My gut is telling me she's going to continue to be a problem. Thanks again for the replies.

justme

Good luck LN...I know its hard to ship a productive cow...I did it and it wasn't easy.

Latest posts