If you could get 1 straw of semen from any bull, dead or alive...

Help Support Steer Planet:

OKshorthorn

Thought this might be fun. Everyone has there favorite cow. Hypothetically, if you could take your favorite cow to get flushed tomorrow, and you could pick any bull that has ever lived to flush her too. What would you pick and why? Also, it might be fun to post a pic of your favorite cow and or the bull (if possible) that you would flush her too.

knabe

atan is the sire of cunia and mickey 3 is the grandsire of etula and the dam of border creek future was an early flushed cow.

beefmasterboy24

I would breed this Gert heifer (fixin to be a cow) to Meyer 734  for her 2nd time around

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    869.1 KB · Views: 257

Okotoks

Decisions, decisions
I can't decide how far back I would go! Hubback, Ketton, Belvedere, Airdrie, Champion of England, Whitehall Sultan, Browndale
Will let you know after the feed is out!
The cow though would be Diamond Nicola Susan 23N.

Attachments

• Diamond Nicola Susan 23N & Damond Rising Legend 1R.jpg
    Diamond Nicola Susan 23N & Damond Rising Legend 1R.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 214

Okotoks

OKshorthorn said:
Wow, I really like that cow okotoks!!! You selling any embryos from her?!?!
She has only been flushed once and that was when Bernard & Lise Leahy,Lakefied, Ontario bought a pick of the herd flush in our Treasure Chest Sale. They picked 23N and flushed her to TANK,Alta Cedar Signature 119N. They have had at least two daughters from that flush and may have some embryos left. We have only had one natural daughter and she was a twin with a bull :(  I do have a couple of really nice coming three year olds by her son,Diamond Rising Legend 1R, and out of cows that were her paternal sisters. She is one of the cows we plan to flush next year if everything goes according to plan. One of our senior sires is also by Rising legend.

trevorgreycattleco

OKshorthorn said:
Thought this might be fun. Everyone has there favorite cow. Hypothetically, if you could take your favorite cow to get flushed tomorrow, and you could pick any bull that has ever lived to flush her too. What would you pick and why? Also, it might be fun to post a pic of your favorite cow and or the bull (if possible) that you would flush her too.

I would buy and collect the best bull calf from Shoshone angus  THIS year and use that straw to flush Shoshone Prudence 6157. I would take those heifers and breed them up shorthorn to purebred status and form my own new cow lines. Any investers out there? Can't use 6157 but I am guessing a cow from Shoshone could be found for our use.

Champagne tastes on a beer budget gets me again. <beer>

trevorgreycattleco

Okotoks said:
OKshorthorn said:
She has only been flushed once and that was when Bernard & Lise Leahy,Lakefied, Ontario bought a pick of the herd flush in our Treasure Chest Sale. They picked 23N and flushed her to TANK,Alta Cedar Signature 119N. They have had at least two daughters from that flush and may have some embryos left. We have only had one natural daughter and she was a twin with a bull :(  I do have a couple of really nice coming three year olds by her son,Diamond Rising Legend 1R, and out of cows that were her paternal sisters. She is one of the cows we plan to flush next year if everything goes according to plan. One of our senior sires is also by Rising legend.

okotoks, have you used "Tank" much. I have 9 straws of him but have never used it yet. Heard some not so good things. I sure like the looks of him but if he doesn't breed on then......

rkmn

My pick would be an old hereford bull named Mr. Incredible bred to my Midas/Grand Slam cow pictured to the left.

Okotoks

trevorgreycattleco said:
Okotoks said:
OKshorthorn said:
She has only been flushed once and that was when Bernard & Lise Leahy,Lakefied, Ontario bought a pick of the herd flush in our Treasure Chest Sale. They picked 23N and flushed her to TANK,Alta Cedar Signature 119N. They have had at least two daughters from that flush and may have some embryos left. We have only had one natural daughter and she was a twin with a bull :(  I do have a couple of really nice coming three year olds by her son,Diamond Rising Legend 1R, and out of cows that were her paternal sisters. She is one of the cows we plan to flush next year if everything goes according to plan. One of our senior sires is also by Rising legend.

okotoks, have you used "Tank" much. I have 9 straws of him but have never used it yet. Heard some not so good things. I sure like the looks of him but if he doesn't breed on then......

We actually owned a bull by Tank, Alta Cedar Sherman 7S, and he was also out of Tank's maternal sister so his grand dam both sides was Alta Cedar Lilian 88G. The 88G cow was a top producer.She is also the dam of Samurai and Emperor.We sold Sherman to Nick Steinke, Bowmans and JDMC Cattle Company. We have some coming 2 year olds by him that are very nice, although not as big as some of our other heifers I think they will make useful cows. I also have a son that we used a bit on some heifers but he is horned so will probably sell him next spring as a 2 year old. Tank has sired some good herd bulls, one of the best at Creekside but there are others that have done well. I think Peter and Christine flushed the 88G cow and hopefully they will get some daughters. Sherman had an 80 lb. birth weight and we used him on heifers pretty successfully.
Attached a photo of 21W, a yearling Sherman daughter.

Attachments

• Alta Cedar Sherman 7S.jpg
    Alta Cedar Sherman 7S.jpg
    10.2 KB · Views: 1,037
  • Frimley Winter Dawn 21W.jpg
    Frimley Winter Dawn 21W.jpg
    244.2 KB · Views: 194

r.n.reed

Collynie Stardale x Wolf Ridge Helianthus 28n

Attachments

• collynie 001 (Small).jpg
    collynie 001 (Small).jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 192
  • no2 001 (Small).jpg
    no2 001 (Small).jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 190

BadgerFan

trevorgreycattleco said:
I would buy and collect the best bull calf from Shoshone angus  THIS year and use that straw to flush Shoshone Prudence 6157. I would take those heifers and breed them up shorthorn to purebred status and form my own new cow lines. Any investers out there? Can't use 6157 but I am guessing a cow from Shoshone could be found for our use.

Define best.

knabe

BadgerFan said:
Define best.

all of them should be the same.

couldn't find the Collynie bull mentioned though Collynie is mentioned profusely in early shorthorn breeding.

couldn't find him in any pedigree search in aus, us, england

trevorgreycattleco

BadgerFan said:
trevorgreycattleco said:

Define best.

Best can be many different things depending on what you like. I would look for a non extreme in any way bull by a really good, older proven cow.
That herd is not the end all be all mind u, I just think it is a great building piece for future breeders.

r.n.reed

Collynie was the herd prefix for the Hultine herd in Nebraska.I came across Stardale researching the pedigrees of some of the antique bulls I am using as he was a reoccurring theme in the pedigree's of these bulls.He was born in the 30's but is close up in  the pedigrees of these old bulls as his sons and grandsons were used on into the 50's.His most famous son was Gloster Dale who was advertised by the Blomstroms as still being their main herd sire at 10 yrs and his dam still producing at 17 years.

BadgerFan

Define best.
[/quote]

Best can be many different things depending on what you like. I would look for a non extreme in any way bull by a really good, older proven cow.
That herd is not the end all be all mind u, I just think it is a great building piece for future breeders.
[/quote]

As Knabe says, they should all be the same in that herd.  That was my point.  Picking out the "best" based on looks would negate the prepotency of selection for middle of the road.

I'm sure it's a good herd, it's just too bad there's no registration papers.  It won't be a breeding piece for future breeders that want to register them.  Personally, I still think there's value in documentation and performance information.

Oh, well enough of that.  Later.