if you had to start all over

Help Support Steer Planet:

ZNT

ALTSIMMY 79 said:
I've seen a lot of average breds this year sell for 2500 to 3000 just because the market is high.

Hope these same people are looking for a really good set of fall bred heifers.  We have a great set to sell, except these are good ones, and bred right.

wyatt

shortii said:
I'm not trying to make anybody mad but I was thinking it's kind of weird how open heifers will sell higher than bred heifers. I do realize these ones are generally show heifers but with breds your getting the cow and the calf. with buying a heifer calf your putting more money into feeding it among other things. It seems backward to me.

and to continue with the topic I would probably go back to the same farms where I had bought before with the acceptation of a few places that I feel took advantage of me not knowing much about cattle when I first started as well as a cow that I bought on impulse.   
i know exactly how you feel about the farm thing ,except my experience was better i was just getting into it and buying my first "show heifer" that i would keep and breed and i was young so i didnt know much... all i cared is she was white lol. but they pointed us to the best one for what we wanted and ever since then ive always gone back every year to atleast look and i usually buy one but this year i didnt. and even though i didnt buy one they still bred the heifers/ cows we bought from them previously for little cost

Mueller Show Cattle

With the cost of cattle being so high, the price of proven club calf genetics in females are really high. I am going to buy embryos out of proven cows to like Irish Whiskey or Meyer 734 with the hope of getting females. I will spend $1,000 to $1,500 for 3 embryos before I spend $5,000 for a cow. I know not all 3 will take but most guarantee 1 pregnancy with 3 embryos purchased. Then you could get lucky and maybe get 2 or 3 calves, more likely 2 than all 3. But I think you can get good genetic cheaper this way, may take a little longer but worth it in the long run.

Freddy

North central -- Nebraska on highway 183 - 30 mi
EMBRYO'S are the only way unless you have some  good enough to flush, push the offspring off two or three cows ,and every thing you do in the next ten years or twenty years it will compliment what you have and what you started with ....Make the work,decisions and your management  do the most for you ,this applys to clubby or purebred herds .....

McM93

shortii said:
I'm not trying to make anybody mad but I was thinking it's kind of weird how open heifers will sell higher than bred heifers. I do realize these ones are generally show heifers but with breds your getting the cow and the calf. with buying a heifer calf your putting more money into feeding it among other things. It seems backward to me.

and to continue with the topic I would probably go back to the same farms where I had bought before with the acceptation of a few places that I feel took advantage of me not knowing much about cattle when I first started as well as a cow that I bought on impulse.   

Show heifers are purchased with the fantasy of trophies and belt buckles. Bred heifers are purchased in hopes of making money... ;)

ALTSIMMY 79

Agreed ! That last statement in the last post says it all ! I find it pretty ridiculous when shopping around and the opens are more money than the breds , but somebody usually pays it. Just isn't gonna be me ! 

xxcc

knabe said:
Would have started with Fullbloods without a certain breeder in Montana.

To me, it's been more important to avoid certain people than certain cattle.

People will cost you more money than cattle.
it was your choice to sue.  usually business partners sit down to the table when things aren't seen eye to eye and work something out.  Californians file lawsuits.

Don't cut off your nose to spite your face.

kfacres

O0 (dog)
xxcc said:
knabe said:
Would have started with Fullbloods without a certain breeder in Montana.

To me, it's been more important to avoid certain people than certain cattle.

People will cost you more money than cattle.
it was your choice to sue.  usually business partners sit down to the table when things aren't seen eye to eye and work something out.  Californians file lawsuits.

Don't cut off your nose to spite your face.

xxcc

Freddy said:
EMBRYO'S are the only way unless you have some  good enough to flush, push the offspring off two or three cows ,and every thing you do in the next ten years or twenty years it will compliment what you have and what you started with ....Make the work,decisions and your management  do the most for you ,this applys to clubby or purebred herds .....
That's a good way. One of the most influential fullblood Maine foundations started with one cow.

Doc-sun, There was loads of potential until he decided to sue me rather than be a man and step up and put some stuff on paper when it needed to be. Really is a crying shame it didn't work out.  But when the going gets tough, I guess...whip out your attorney and try to get everyone else to get one and squash a program rather than man-up.

cattleman70

I would want females with bloodlines that go back to:
Meyer 734
Irish Whiskey
Chill Factor
I would also like some of those OCC angus cows.

Along with some Charolais and lots of Shorthorn!!!!!

doc-sun

xxcc said:
Freddy said:
That's a good way. One of the most influential fullblood Maine foundations started with one cow.

Doc-sun, There was loads of potential until he decided to sue me rather than be a man and step up and put some stuff on paper when it needed to be. Really is a crying shame it didn't work out.  But when the going gets tough, I guess...whip out your attorney and try to get everyone else to get one and squash a program rather than man-up.
.....and only californians cause the blm, oia, montanans, albertans, iowans, north carolinians, kentuckians and maybe martians to get in line and you didn't. Reminds me of that old song "who's cheatin who and who's being true and who don't even care anymore", but wait that is marriage and this is only the cattle business.

xxcc

You, sir, are talking about a whole hell of a lot of stuff you apparently don't know a whole hell of a lot about. You are in good company, do you both shop in the same armchair store? Typical, take skewed facts and turn it into 'your own little version.' Funny, you don't even have all your facts straight before throwing a bunch of BS out there.  Oh yes, you are in gooood company an have it all sewed up don't you.  Take that one to the bank and make a deposit with it!

doc-sun

xxcc said:
You, sir, are talking about a whole hell of a lot of stuff you apparently don't know a whole hell of a lot about. You are in good company, do you both shop in the same armchair store? Typical, take skewed facts and turn it into 'your own little version.' Funny, you don't even have all your facts straight before throwing a bunch of BS out there.  Oh yes, you are in gooood company an have it all sewed up don't you.  Take that one to the bank and make a deposit with it!
it was good to visit with those from north of the border at ft worth in january and it still amazes me what you can read these days with all this new technology, but i'll take a good look in the mirror, feel good, and post no more.  how about you?

wyatt

cattleman70 said:
I would want females with bloodlines that go back to:
Meyer 734
Irish Whiskey
Chill Factor
I would also like some of those OCC angus cows.

Along with some Charolais and lots of Shorthorn!!!!!
thats funny im planning on flushing a cow to at least two of those bulls  O0

feeder duck

I would look back on my Shorthorns and say "what a ride, been there done that". I would not replace them. I would go straight to Kansas and put together the same Red Angus genetics I started working with building my cows as I did two years ago. I would go to my insurance
man and he would pay me more for my Red Angus than my Horns just like the sale barn does!!!H

kfacres

feeder duck said:
I would look back on my Shorthorns and say "what a ride, been there done that". I would not replace them. I would go straight to Kansas and put together the same Red Angus genetics I started working with building my cows as I did two years ago. I would go to my insurance
man and he would pay me more for my Red Angus than my Horns just like the sale barn does!!!H

you kill me with honesty...  how many horns you have left? 

aandtcattle

feeder duck said:
Why do you still have "Shorthorns" on your business signage if they are so god-awful?  Why not just go to "Cornell Red Angus" and leave it alone? Just a thought