If you were gonna start over?

Help Support Steer Planet:

Williams

And plan on raising a few club calves maybe 20 or so females what breed would you start with?Im thinking maybe shorthorn and cross them up,but Im a newbie...
Awsome site!Alot of info for a pig guy starting with cattle in the future... ;)

Cattledog

That is a good question.  I would probably start with an angus base and then use some three way crosses on them.  I also wouldn't mind having half blood simmi-angus females.

olsun

You wouldn't be wrong if you started with shorthorns. However, at least in this area you would be better off to start with angus cows. Since there are few commercial shorthorn herds around here, you could get better cows for less money with angus. Then if you still want the shorties, it works very well to use a good shorthorn bull on angus cows. All breeds seem to work on an angus cow. JMO

justme

I appreciate a good shorthorn as much as the next but one thing to think about what are you going to do with the ones that aren't going to make show cattle (it'll happen)?  I had some and the ones that didn't make show cattle went to the sale barn.  Everytime I take one I get nailed.  Its a shame that happens but in many places it does.

I prefer maines myself.  So many ways you can cross them and so many avenues you can go.  Another route is the simmi x angus route or simmi x maine route.  The simmi cross cattle make great mamas.

red

give me my Maines anyday. Even those that have a little Shorthorn in them.  ;)

Red

Show Steaks

Right now anything with a white face or 734 or maximus  in its pedigree is  HOT!
Make Great mamma and sire a white faced look that every showmen  loves to see on the calf they are buying.

oakbar

If I was starting over I think I'd raise cats and everyone on SP knows how I feel about cats.   At least that way everyone would know I'm crazy instead of just wondering.  

Actually, I really like having a shorthorn cow herd.   Yeah, you might get slammed at a sale barn with a few calves, but they're tremendous females that you can cross a lot of ways to get clubbies--and I think that's what you said you're looking for.  You can also go the Maintainer route pretty easy as well as the Shorthorn Plus.  

red

oakbar said:
If I was starting over I think I'd raise cats and everyone on SP knows how I feel about cats.   At least that way everyone would know I'm crazy instead of just wondering.  

Actually, I really like having a shorthorn cow herd.   Yeah, you might get slammed at a sale barn with a few calves, but they're tremendous females that you can cross a lot of ways to get clubbies--and I think that's what you said you're looking for.  You can also go the Maintainer route pretty easy as well as the Shorthorn Plus.  

Too bad King Killer Kitty is neutered or you could have a whole herd of him! Hum... maybe I should just clone him?

Red  (lol)

Williams

Thanks for the replies,
Dad will retire in a few yrs up to Centerville,TX ,so we're gonna give him something to do (lol)
My daughters and nieces have been showing pigs the last few yr's and we have about 8-10yrs left in the JR'S and they are wanting to switch to cattle.

Lots to learn,and seems it"ll be one of those things we'll never figure out,but with folks like you we should be able to beat alot of the curve.
So if we end up with 10 good angus females and want to pick up a few heifers first go round I assume that'll change things,I like the simmi/angus Idea,but Im guessing my shots of good County level club calves would be narrowed if I went simmi bull and the angus females,rather than a 3way Bull on them,maybe i shouldnt knock the thought of just going 3way/angus and keeping a few of those heifer's....

OH Breeder

If I were going to start fresh. I would diversify more. I would purchase really good embryos and build my base from there. It takes a couple of generations when you start out with above average cows. As far as breed. We have never had any trouble selling our calves red white or black. There are few folks on here from TN. iwould check with them to see what sells. We have some Simmi's and I have had success crossing them with Shortorns. I like the red so it is not a problem for me.Quality is definitely better than quantity.

Cattledog

Williams said:
Thanks for the replies,
Dad will retire in a few yrs up to Centerville,TX ,so we're gonna give him something to do (lol)
My daughters and nieces have been showing pigs the last few yr's and we have about 8-10yrs left in the JR'S and they are wanting to switch to cattle.

Lots to learn,and seems it"ll be one of those things we'll never figure out,but with folks like you we should be able to beat alot of the curve.
So if we end up with 10 good angus females and want to pick up a few heifers first go round I assume that'll change things,I like the simmi/angus Idea,but Im guessing my shots of good County level club calves would be narrowed if I went simmi bull and the angus females,rather than a 3way Bull on them,maybe i shouldnt knock the thought of just going 3way/angus and keeping a few of those heifer's....

This really brings up an interesting point.  If you are going for steers the 3 way cross we probably give you the most desired results.  If you want heifers you should think about crossing Simmental, Maine, or even going back on the Angus cows with an Angus bull if the cows are papered.  I have always toyed with the idea of raising a couple of club calves but have always chickened out and been satisfied with looking at the picture postings here on SP.  If you have heifers you could find a supposed calving ease clubby bull....but I would definitely breed them to a calving ease Angus bull as they are more consistent.  If you get a heifer that could be a replacement.  

I guess what I am saying is if you have ten cows you can mix it up a little.  Don't feel like you just have to do one thing.  I wouldn't advise keeping 3 way crosses as replacements.  I know alot of people do keep these but I just don't hear alot of possitive things.  

If I ever get enough courage to actually step out of the angus box I'll let you know if my ideas are worth anything.

box6rranch

I think you need to consider what the area you live in looks for in show calves. From all of the postings and what I've read it can vary to a considerable degree from state to state or even county to county. For example where we live we grow the real boxy, showy, hairy calves. We breed Maines, shorthorns and crossbred. But others that slick sheer might buy a totally different type of show cow. JMO :)

doubled

Cattledog said:
That is a good question.  I would probably start with an angus base and then use some three way crosses on them.  I also wouldn't mind having half blood simmi-angus females.

I agree with you, good answer

redwingfarm

I would start with as many meyer/angus brood cows I could afford and put the best shorty embyros in them, I have seen a lot of cows this past few years and as a group the meyer/angus cows seem to be the best in terms of milkyness, good temperment, and fleshing.  They would make great recip cows for shorty embryos and should be big enough to handle the sometimes big shorty calves.

knabe

redwingfarm said:
I would start with as many meyer/angus brood cows I could afford and put the best shorty embyros in them, I have seen a lot of cows this past few years and as a group the meyer/angus cows seem to be the best in terms of milkyness, good temperment, and fleshing.  They would make great recip cows for shorty embryos and should be big enough to handle the sometimes big shorty calves.

and start a new breed.

clubcalve

If I had to start over I would start with a Maine cross Char base cow heard and work in some 3 way crosses

kobo_ranch

We started this year after my Dad retired after years of commercial cattle, goats and sheep.  He raised a few club calves for me when I was growing up (got a little lucky during those big tall CHI boy days!).
Overthe past several years my boys showed goats and did well, we raised a few as well.  We're still raising a few good show goats, and now have a real nice dorper sheep herd as well.  Last summer though we took the plunge and we bought several really nice angus/maine/cross cows, and a few angus/semi baldys.  The best we could find and bred to a nice clubby bull 3-5 yr olds.
Pretty expensive endeavor though, but we knew we were willing to do the work, and love ranching in general.    (although we're praying for RAIN tonight!!)
Anyhow, the only advise I can give )depending on your budget of course) would be to try and get a few cows that are registered or can be registered.  Our guy although he sold us good cows--didn't want to go to the trouble of tracking pedigrees or checking to see if they were registered.  NOW we have a few really nice heifers, and just hoping we can show them SOMEWHERE!!
Good luck.  Be ready to work though, much more trouble than commercial cattle. <cowboy>

vet tech

Interesting thread. I agree 100% with the angus based herd idea. Find myself some real nice deep bodied females and breed the to bulls like 734, maximus, climax, ect... Then keep the heifer calves and breed clubby from there on out.

knabe

if i had to start over, i would have purchased 2 fullblood maine's and a couple of semen lots.

amcosgra

No one wants to start over with some nice herefords???  I have always wondered this, why is it in every club calf theres maine, angus, shorthorn, chi, simmental, or charolais but never any hereford.  I believe they could bring a lot to the table with their maternal abilities and structural correctness.  Also there are a lot of hereford bulls throwin that square hip, thick rumped, big boned look that everyone covets.