I'm in need of thoughts an opinions

Help Support Steer Planet:

GrowerShower32

Ok so I'm looking at two SimAngus heifers and I'm trying to figure out which one to go with. I wish I had gotten pics when I went to look at them the first time but I was rushed for time. I'm gonna try to get back out there Thursday so hopefully I'll be able to snap a few pics then.

Now I know papers aren't everything and the structure of the cow is the most important. But based off performance with epds which one would you pic? Then I'll get pics of the heifers and you can get a better idea of what I'm dealing with.

I want a performance animal not looking for a club calf look but a cow that's gonna put some calves on the ground with performance.

The first Heifer was born September 9th and shes  by CCR Wide Range out of a cow that's by Upgrade. She's got alot of growth to her. She's deep bodied, pretty fronted very correct in her top line and balanced. Only think I noticed but I couldn't ever get a good rump veiw of her with out her getting nervous and diving in with the other calves she seemed to give up a bit of her power in her lower rump but again I never could get a good true veiw of it.

The other heifer I have is a September 20th heifer that is by the man's clean up bull who is by upgrade. She's out of a cow who's by CNS DREAM ON L186 and a cow with no pedigree when you look her up. This Heifer is shorter a bit more boxey made but she has some width to her but she doesn't grab my attention like the other bigger heifer.

Like I said I will try and get pics as soon as I get a chance to get out to look at them again. I've always felt with Angus and I don't know a whole lot about the Simmental but I've been doing my homework​ and reading up on them but still alot to learn

Simmgal

Alrighty, first of all I would like to see pictures, pedigrees/EPDs so I could help you out more and give you a better opinion. Do you have registration numbers?

Without seeing either of them, I can't help a whole lot. If you're looking more towards the performance/cow making aspect of things SIMPLY by looking at the pedigrees, I would say that the Wide Range animal would have better maternal traits than the Upgrade X Dream on line. Wide Range has a pretty balanced EPD profile that includes CE, growth and milk. Dream On's tend to be on the more showy end of things, have good CE numbers, but lack MM and growth numbers (better for cow makers). Upgrades are performance oriented cattle, but EPD wise, they lack milk numbers (more terminal). I have a DO X UG cow who raises an awesome calf every year, so my experience with him as been good, but I'm really liking how my Wide Range calves look more than most any sire group I've had so far.

Hope that helps! Best of luck to you! (thumbsup)

GrowerShower32

That does help. As soon as I can get back out and have more daylight I'm gonna get the pics. Waiting on the papers to come in so I don't have a reg. # yet, cause I wanted to see that myself. I wanted someone to give opinions on the lineage that could tell me there personal opinions if one was alittle better than the other. I personally feel more drawn to the wide range daughter she has a look that caught my eye. We are purchasing one of the two heifers listed here and a full Angus heifer and they will be the start of our registered heard. I just don't have alot of personal experience with the simmental lines so I want honest opinions of what is gonna take me further down the road.

So I guess that being said right now we are wanting heifers that have alot of maternal traits that way we can add there heifers to our herd and continue to build within.

GrowerShower32

Here's a picture of the sires and dams of both of the heifers.

The bottom cow and bull on the list is the sire and dam of the heifer I really like

Attachments

• Screenshot_20170418-213447.png
    Screenshot_20170418-213447.png
    294.4 KB · Views: 219

GrowerShower32

I ended up going with the wide range heifer

Attachments

• IMG_20170422_193954-800x752.jpg
    IMG_20170422_193954-800x752.jpg
    185.4 KB · Views: 190
  • IMG_20170422_194110-800x670.jpg
    IMG_20170422_194110-800x670.jpg