Implanting young calves

Help Support Steer Planet:

drl

Does anyone implant their future sale calves while still on the cow? Looking at steers only but figure if they don't sell or if they can be bigger at sale time it should be a good thing right? Or do you worry that they won't gain well if future buyer doesn't implant them after you sell or that they might be deceived if the calves look better because of the implant???... If you do implant your calves which one do you use? I haven't  implanted nursing calves before but the dollars and pure gain side of things says I should.

Dyer Show cattle

We implant as soon as they become steers. So if they get cut in the spring they get implanted then and then again in the fall when worked again. I have heard some people say that it hurts the hair by implanting but I have never had any issues. The calves that had plenty of hair before still have hair after implanting. So I dont know if there is any truth to it or not. I know the pounds pay the bills so mine all get implanted no matter if they are headed for the show ring or sale ring.

TYD

please  i hope this is not taken the wrong way but do you guys also implant the steers you use for personal use or just the one you sell

Ms Ray

We have only raised a few market steers and I had never really heard of people using implants until I started coming on this site,  are the implants something that are easy to do or do you need a vet to do them.  Also if a vet needs to do them are most vets in favor or is frowned apon for fair animals?
Thanks

Tex

What implant do you like to use on these young calves? And what implant do you use on the cattle that are 9 months old or so?

Dyer Show cattle

We implant all the steers that go to the feedlot and show ring. Also if we know we are not keeping heifers for breeding we will implant those as well in the fall. It is pretty simple to do. It goes in the ear, usually the side opposite the tag. Put it under the skin on the backside of the ear. I guess everyone I know uses implants and have been for 20+ years. The only ones I know that dont use them is for organic or hormone free beef and some in the show industry mainly due to hearing of it makes calves loose some of their hair. If your not using them I would be marketing your calves that way, at least if your selling private beef. Many people around Iowa are starting to want organic  or hormone free beef or even grass fed beef. I personally like a big corn fed steak myself. 

Silver

I give them a dose of revalor (the one made for steers on grass) when they are cut. Then when they are weened they get a dose of revalor-s (made for steers fed in confinement). If you think about it when you castrate the calf your limiting his ability to make some hormones so you can give them an implant to make up for that. Bar none the best implant is revalor they make implants for every calf in every situation. Some of there implants are even time release and don't require you to re-implant later. As long as you follow the correct dosage you won't have problems. And it sure can help them stack on the pounds.

shufly

Will implanting calves at weaning help increase frame size?  I have calf that could use a boost in frame and curious if implanting him now would help.

OH Breeder

Ms Ray said:
We have only raised a few market steers and I had never really heard of people using implants until I started coming on this site,  are the implants something that are easy to do or do you need a vet to do them.  Also if a vet needs to do them are most vets in favor or is frowned apon for fair animals?
Thanks

Implants are something you can do yourself. If you ahve never done one you might want someone help you first time. The guns are sold at TSC as well as other online sites. We use Revalor if one is a little younger and needs to catch up. I have a couple of May calves that I implanted about 3 weeks ago. I can re-evaulate them again at 60 days. The best time to implant is winter around here. You don't loose the hair you would if you do in the spring and or summer. If you go to the manufacture website they have a diagram with proper placement. The kids tried to do one without me and hit a blood vessle with the needle. They were so scared they won't do one again by themselves. I always clean the site with betadine and apply bag balm to the injection site for safety.

shufly

Will implants help increase frame size?  I have a Mar steer that looks like he is a bit on the small framed side.  Just curious if this would help give him a boost.

Top Knot

shufly said:
Will implants help increase frame size?  I have a Mar steer that looks like he is a bit on the small framed side.  Just curious if this would help give him a boost.

I don't think implants will change frame size much, if at all. What they will do is increase muscle growth while decreasing fat deposition. So if you have a small framed, early maturing steer, implanting him should increase his muscle volume so you'll have more pounds on him before he gets to his end point in regard to amount of finish.

Top Knot

TYD said:
please  i hope this is not taken the wrong way but do you guys also implant the steers you use for personal use or just the one you sell

The only reasons to not implant beef are 1) to gain a premium from people who want to buy "natural" or organic beef because of perceived health reasons 2) to get a higher percent of your cattle to grade choice or prime. I like lean beef so I like implanted beef. Plus the ribeyes are bigger. ;-) As far as safety issues, look at the data below from the Center for Global Food Issues.

Human Safety of Growth Enhancing Pharmaceuticals
The first and foremost question about growth promoting hormones, of course, is whether their use is safe for consumers. In one word, Yes.

The first safety factor is the way they are given to cattle. Except for MGA (administered via feed), FDA regulations only allow growth promoting hormones to be administered through time-release implants placed under the skin of the animals’ ear. Each implant contains a specific, legally authorized dose of hormones. The implant ensures that the hormone is released into the animals’ bloodstream very slowly so that the concentration of the hormone in the animal remains relatively constant and low. Because the ear is discarded at harvest, the implant does not enter the food chain.

Second, there is no incentive for producers to “overdose” an animal on hormones. Each implant contains the optimal dose for maximum economic return, and administering simultaneous implants would have little impact on further weight gain. It would only waste money. This economic reality, coupled with the USDA’s annual monitoring program, safeguards the system and ensures that hormones are used properly and safely.

Third, the doses are low. The science indicates that use of supplemental hormones in cattle has only a miniscule impact on hormone levels in beef – well below the natural hormone levels in beef or the amounts produced naturally in our own bodies. According to the US Department of Agriculture (USDA), a person would need to eat over 13 pounds of beef from an implanted steer to equal the amount of estradiol naturally found in a single egg!1 One glass of milk contains about nine times as much estradiol as a half-pound of beef from an implanted steer. And remember, it’s not just animal products that contain hormonally active chemicals. A half-pound potato has 245 nanograms (ng, or 1 billionth of a gram) of estrogen equivalent, compared with 1.3 ng for a quarter pound of untreated beef and 1.9 ng for beef from an implanted steer.2

aggiegal

shufly said:
Will implanting calves at weaning help increase frame size?  I have calf that could use a boost in frame and curious if implanting him now would help.
We have purchased show steers from a breeder that implants early with Cynovex (sp?).  Neither calf had increased frame size and both actually seemed smaller/moderate framed, while carrying better than average muscle.  We were able to put one of these in the sale at Houston as a 1005 lb AOB.    He was a March calf.  I don't think he would have made it without the implant.

vet tech

This whole topic is confusing for me. What is an implant and what does it do? Like I've seen advertisements for growth and melatonin implants? Sounds shady to me...

chambero

There are different kinds of implants and they aren't shady at all.  Growth implants including common brand names such as Revalor, Synovex, and Ralgro and are heavily used by all segments of the beef industry that are focused on raising and getting calves through feedlots.  They are perfectly legal and USDA approved combinations of hormones that increase growth and muscle development, usually at the expense of quality grades.  Nobody that I know of implants heifers that are intended for breeding.

There are also melatonin implants that help with hair growth.  Melatonin isn't regulated by USDA and hence are legal for use in steers just like any other supplement.

Top Knot

vet tech said:
This whole topic is confusing for me. What is an implant and what does it do? Like I've seen advertisements for growth and melatonin implants? Sounds shady to me...

Implants are hormones. Natural (progesterone, estradiol, or testosterone) or synthetic (Trenbolone Acetate (TBA) or zeranol) of combinations of. They vary in potency and should be used for the right class of cattle (calf, steer, heifer) and attention should be paid to the length of effectiveness, especially the "terminal" implants used at the end of the feeding period. Ralgro and Synovex C are common calf implants; Synovex S or H for backgrounded calves; Synovex Plus, Ralgro Magnum, or Revalor S & H for finishing cattle.

Nothing shady about it. It's an industry accepted practice approved by the FDA. Do you think they'd approve anything of even questionable safety? Look at my other post. A potato has 129 times more estrogen than an implanted steer! It takes 13 pounds of implanted beef to equal the amount of estradiol found in ONE EGG!

shufly

So how many of you implant the steers when they are young then do it again 45-60 days prior to their final show?  I guess what I am trying to figure out is how often and when to start with implants?