"In-betweenie" bulls

Help Support Steer Planet:

justme

OK I've already started looking for a new A.I. bull or two eventhough I only have one calf on the ground.  (lol)  I guess to much time on my hands walking pastures.  I'm looking for (preferably maine) a bull that isn't exactly calving ease, but not a cow killer.  I have predominately maine genetics.  I calve the cows for the most part by myself my husband works 40 minutes away so help if I have problems is a ways away.  I love my Money Man's and Gigolo Joe's and have hopefully a couple Nelson 26T2's coming.  Hardcore just didn't click as well as I'd like.  Help!  Any suggestions?  I want to add a little power to my herd.

justme

wow I sound like I'm rambling lol.  The heifer in my Avatar is one that I'm thinking of specifically.  She was reserve at MO state fair.  Really stout Total Package x Money Man.  She's ready to pop anytime to Gigolo Joe right now.

Chap

i sure like the looks of the Open Bar cattle.  he should fit the bill.

advocate

I've heard good things about KandA spice habaneroxCarly I hear he puts hair and bone into anything also another KandA bull Maverick has thrown some awesome females and numerous high sellers maybe a little obscure for some but both work very well for both highs and maintainers

Throttle

He's not Maine, but I've seen 3 by jbh's Power2Change and I think he will work well if used in the right places. I'm thinking the cow will need to have some middle and hair, but from the small sample that I saw, I see this bull throwing a lot of look and WAY more muscle and shape than you would think from his look and pedigree. At just a few weeks old, it's real hard to tell, but they look thick, without being too tight made, which is hard to do.

I have a couple out of Northern Ice. They are out of first calf heifers and came really tiny (both under 60 I'd say) so it is hard to tell on them at this point, but they are sound, HAIRY, and look good so far. According to owners, there was only a handful born last year and there was a REALLY good red one in Shatto's heifer sale last fall. The 3 best ones in that sale were this bull's one daughter, a calf out of a full sib to this bull, and a calf out of a different full sib to this bull. They also say that Tom Klingner has several this year and is quite happy. I think we will be using him more. Here's a link:  http://www.shattoshowcattle.com/PowerUp/PUPS_NorthernIce_April2009_webcopy.pdf

I'm with Chap in thinking that Open Bar seems to kind of be the up and comer for maternal Maines that can show. I also think that the new Stands Alone bull that was bred in the same OHL program has a very similar look and will probably fit a similar place in the industry as well.

I don't know much about Bremer's bulls, but I have felt for several years now that if a big promotion machine was behind one of the Carly sons and more people were using them, they would work for Maine show cattle. Also, the Top Shelf bull looked good in Denver and a Spice daughter was Res. Div. 1 in the commercial heifers at IBE

Anyone have any experience with Harkema's Way Cool? He looks pretty good too...Man there are a lot of choices out there

justme

I've seen some Open Bar x Money Man and they just didn't have the guts to them that I like.  Keep them coming I'm in need of some help lol <rock> <beer>

chambero

I don't use him a ton, but Yellow Jacket is a real good allround bull.  Some of his steers can get a little too tall relative to what some judges pick, but I haven't found a single bull of any color that puts the muscle and bone into calves that he does.  Better yet, his heifers will sell for a higher avg than his steers.  His babies aren't little, but I've never had to pull one and neither has a friend of mine that has used him more than I have.  Half his calves will be black out of black cows.

PRO

How about Mitten Man?  I think he is siring some impressive cattle.  Destiny livestock has some bulls and heifers from him in their sale.  He really seems to improve ribeye.  He is scurred, but if you are using 262 that apparently doesn't scare you.  We bought a half blood son from the Chi sale in denver.  He seems to have been an incredible bargain.  Repair Man is a son that is being promoted as well.  It really suprised me that Willers decided to sell Mitten Man at the Maine Sale in Denver.  I believe it was somewhat of a last minute decision.  

justme

I've always wanted to try Mitten Man...he may be one I try.  Didn't Putz buy him?  Horns don't bother me, prefer not, but if a bull is good I don't care

xxcc

ever thought about using a fullblood?  put something back into the breed that it's been lacking for way too long.

Try Iabon ( # 66). His milk EPDs lie, they should be about 25.  or Touchdown (# 29).  You might be surprised of the result.

ZNT

At Ft. Worth, we saw several BK Remedy calves.  He seems to be doing a very good job of producing both bulls and heifers.  Another bull of Buck's that is producing well is BK Transformer.  Both bulls can be found on his website.  www.buckcattle.com

If you like the Sooner bloodline, Dennis Garwood had two really good son's that sold in last years sale.  GVC Fortune and Glory and GVC Maverick.  Both have a lot of potential, and they have an excellent herd to back them up.  They are both being carried by major semen distributors.

mainegirl

KBC Taz really worked on my 3/4 maine cow(she's the cow in my avatar).We got a nice steer last spring that my brother is showing. He was about 90# unassisted and gets better as he gets older. Very happy with him and will definitely use him again. Have seen a few calves out of him and really liked all of them. Taz is a 1/2 maine. Also used Smokin Joe' and have a very nice heifer calf out of a Ali heifer(7/8 maine). She was about 80# unassisted. 

Dyer Show cattle

I have always liked Lifeline and ground zero calves and cows. I have a great ground zero 2nd calver our of a nichols simm cow. And K & A and Lauterbachs raise some great bulls and cows. Thats actually why I bred some ground zero, i saw some great bulls and heifers at lauterbachs sale about 4 years ago.

KMJCC

Dirty Hairy is 3/4 maine and he is not a cow killer.  Seen some nice calves out of him and his new full brother dirty harry 2 looks pretty good.

Rosemount6

I have had really good success with Chill Factor calves out of my maines.  He throws very nice heifers that will make really good replacements.  Another bull that I like using, though he isn't a maine, is Dr. Who.  I find that he adds nice thickness and soundness to the calves without taking away from style that a lot of maines possess. 

Hofstatter Farms

I def recommend Dirty Harry and this year I am going to breed a couple to Thriller, out of Ali and a Heatwave cow, should be % Maine I would think.

xxcc

I still think you should try a fullblood Maine bull like Capone, Iabon or ...?  Christy Collins likes Cosic (half-sib to Covino III, Crack and Dada).

There are Epinal sons out there two that can be good, PTR Epinal 81E and Border Creek Future.  And then there is Etula.  I wish more people would think of trying stuff like you.  Every one has tried Hard Core the calving ease bull what a bunch of hullabalooh.  Some of the bulls mentioned here probably calve easier.

cotullaguy

xxcc said:
I still think you should try a fullblood Maine bull like Capone, Iabon or ...?  Christy Collins likes Cosic (half-sib to Covino III, Crack and Dada).

There are Epinal sons out there two that can be good, PTR Epinal 81E and Border Creek Future.  And then there is Etula.  I wish more people would think of trying stuff like you.  Every one has tried Hard Core the calving ease bull what a bunch of hullabalooh.  Some of the bulls mentioned here probably calve easier.

I just bought Epinal for this purpose.  I think we as club calf breeders need to get back to basics.  So, on the side, I am going to be recreating the old genetics to avoid painting/breeding myself into a corner.