Inbreeding?

Help Support Steer Planet:

BABYTEX

i have a Ali cow we are trying to find the right breedind for. We want to keep a purebread Maine, and we want the bull to be 60-100% Maine. A lot of the sires we  have seen is sired by or has Ali in its genetics. My mom said she has read something that you can breed an Ali to an Ali, but i want to make sure everything is lagit before i move an further in the decision on what sire to use. We really like Mercedes Benz which is an Ali and is 75% Maine, and we cant use it on my Minetainer Heiferbecause of the BW. My Mainetainer is only a first calf heifer. Please let me know what you guys think. Thanks so much in advance!!!  :)

flacowman

half brothers and half sisters are fine to breed.  The breeder I built my char herd out of bred half siblings extensively when they were still breeding up and the gene pool was limited.  In fact friday I picked up a bull for a herd sire replacement that I have 3 half sisters to, no worries at all as long as you want to propagate that particular animal's genetics, which with Ali I certainly would

justme

If you want to avoid linebreeding, why not look at Major's Money Man.  He's a complete outcross to Ali and should compliment the Ali genetics.  A big plus is low birthweights and the calves really take off