Inbreeding

Help Support Steer Planet:

RankeCattleCo

We have two Milkman heifers, which would be HW grand daughters.  Would we be safe breeding them to HW Grandsons, i.e. Walks Alone sons, Monopoly sons, etc.  Would we be safe breeding them to bulls like WA, Monopoly, or BIM? Never done this before, so we're wondering what extent of inbreeding is okay.

NOTE: WE ARE BREEDING CE FOR THE FIRST TWO YEARS, THIS WOULD BE FOR DOWN THE ROAD.

McM93

RankeCattleCo said:
We have two Milkman heifers, which would be HW grand daughters.  Would we be safe breeding them to HW Grandsons, i.e. Walks Alone sons, Monopoly sons, etc.  Would we be safe breeding them to bulls like WA, Monopoly, or BIM? Never done this before, so we're wondering what extent of inbreeding is okay.

NOTE: WE ARE BREEDING CE FOR THE FIRST TWO YEARS, THIS WOULD BE FOR DOWN THE ROAD.
The best calf I saw last year was a Monopoly out of a TH clean Heatwave daughter...pains me... (lol), it is only inbreeding when it does not click. Love the note!!!

OLD WORLD SHORTIE

Mother to son and Father to daughters is what i consider Inbreeding. What you are talking about is line breeding, pretty much how we breed Trump cattle.

Limiman12

That is pretty distant line breeding in my book......

Like mentioned it is inbred if ugly, line bred when it clicks.

In the dog world when we talk abut line breeding, you have to be super sure of what you have.  Traits both good and bad will be magnified.  I would assume the same would be true in cattle.

aj

I think one perception of inbreeding is the herd of maybe 5 cows that people kept keeping back a bull calf and didn't manage or ever change things up. After 20 years of this and maybe not real good stock to start with you could get somefunky phenotypes let alone genetic defect hookups. From this standpoint its best not to linebreed. If you want to fix traits and you are where you want to be linebreeding is aok. You can get by with more than you think on line breeding and inbreding if there is no junk in pedigrees. If you study humans I was told that you could get away with more of this than one would think. Obviously a sister brother deal is tabboo mainly for social reasons . An there have been problems there also with people confined in a valley or a a vast continent. Native americans occasionally married outside of tribes. jmho

Sassy2899

If the calf comes out with two heads and six legs then I would call it inbreeding.....if it comes out and looks pretty good I would call it line breeding.  There are so many cattle today that have heat wave or monopoly in there lineage that I don't think it would hurt to breed them to the bull of your choice. 

knabe

In linebreeding, one uses inbreeding coefficients.

This topic comes up every once in a while with the same answers.

Inbreeding is having an ancestor in common

Line breeding simply means you are focusing on a line or lines of ancestors.

Bradenh

aggreed with what they said before about inbreeding only being called that when it doesnt work. we breed our heifers back to their daddy every year and it works fine, just dont breed that baby back to the dad  ;), thats what happens when you only have one calving ease bull and dont want to a.i