incredible!!!

Help Support Steer Planet:

cdl

My neighbor has a few cows turned out on a couple of sections. A couple of weeks ago he found one of his cows down and she couldn't get up. He took her to the barn and called the vet, the vet said she was a goner but gave her a steroid shot just in case. After a week of trying to keep her alive it was obvious that she wouldn't last through the night. He called and asked if there was any chance that he could save the calf if he put the cow down and then cut the calf out. We had syncronized the cow and bred her June 25th of last year so her due date was April one of this year. I told him there was no way that he would be able to save a calf that was 6 weeks early, but that it might be a good experience for his daughter who wants to become a vet. They cut out a 40 lb. tiger woods heifer. She is now nine days old and doing great. she still lives in the house but seems to be on her way.

BTDT

Davidsonranch said:
Wow that is pretty cool!  How long between putting the cow down and cutting the calf out?

Hope the calf continues to do well. After this point, you should be out of the woods.

When the cow dies, so does the calf. You only have a few minutes to save the calf, as once the blood stops flowing through the cow, it also stops flowing to the calf therefore suffocating the calf. I have heard of people dong the c- section and then euthanizing the cow, which is generally successful if the calf is far enough along, but doing it the other way around is a risk. I would say you only have 1-2 minutes tops to get the calf out alive.

6 weeks is pretty early, but it was obviously a success so congratulations!

CAB

Davidsonranch said:
Wow that is pretty cool!  How long between putting the cow down and cutting the calf out?

Instantly, You don't have a whole lot of time. You need to be ready and prepared ahead of time.