inducing a cow

Help Support Steer Planet:

cdl

how far overdue before you induce a cow? I've got one bred to tiger woods that is ten days past her due date.

Till-Hill

Got a Tiger Woods out of a X-ray vision shorty cow last nite. She was 8 days over. 90-95 lbs, came unassistied got up and was sucking away. I will say tho this cow is always 5-10 days overdue and has a large calf. If I had not known that info I would have induced 3-4 days ago when her udder was filled pretty decent. When in doubt induce and do it about 5am so you have the best chance of her calving during day. Takes 24-48 hours. Did a cow earlier this month and she had twins right on the money 48 hours later. Tiger Woods calf is very thick and hairy. Can't wait to see how he turns out. GOOD LUCK with yours!

BGF

Any chance she ran with clean up bull?  You are getting close to the questionable point.  If she ran with clean up bull I wouldn't, but if not then I would induce.

cdl

she didn't run with a clean-up bull. what do you use to induce a cow?

cdl

i was going to induce her this morning but when i got to the field she had started on her own. I left her alone for a bit and when i got back the calf was up and sucking. I haven't weighed the calf yet but he looks to be @ 120 lbs. with lots of chrome.

vet tech

On our FOR SURE due dates of AI and ET calves we induce 10 days before their due date. Its worked great for us. Calves come 30-40 hours after shots

braunranch

Soehnlen Cattle Co. said:
On our FOR SURE due dates of AI and ET calves we induce 10 days before their due date. Its worked great for us. Calves come 30-40 hours after shots.

Do you sell bulls then?This is going to affect your birth weight alot these calve are probably being born about a week earlier than if they weren't induced.