Input on Rocky x charolais cross calves

Help Support Steer Planet:

bjkoller

For many years our girls have shown steers out of our commercial herd and done pretty well for themselves, however last year we decided to make a leap and try a clubby bull and see what happened.  We were concerned about BW's so started conservative with Rocky and his light birthweight.  The cows are heavily Charolais influenced with some angus and simmetal in their backgrounds.  They are all big cows and also didn't want HUGE steers. 

We wouild love some input from the steer planet community on what you think of these calves.  The pictures aren't the greatest, but all I had time for now.  What do you think of them?    And any ideas for bulls to AI to this year?

The two I am putting pics up of our both mid-February calves, came small and easy which was nice but wondering about this year's possibilities for a bull to use.  Our cows are pretty good sized.  First 2 pics are of #46  second 2 are of #27.

Please feel free to provide input.... I will try not to get my feelings hurt...LOL

Thanks for your time and thoughts~

Attachments

• tn_tree 016.jpg
    tn_tree 016.jpg
    11.2 KB · Views: 527
  • tn_tree 017.jpg
    tn_tree 017.jpg
    7.2 KB · Views: 513
  • tn_wow.JPG
    tn_wow.JPG
    11 KB · Views: 517
  • tn_tree 019.jpg
    tn_tree 019.jpg
    12.8 KB · Views: 515
  • tn_tree 022.jpg
    tn_tree 022.jpg
    12.3 KB · Views: 513

Dave

Looks like you are off to a good start.  Maybe try Hannibal or another clean fronted bull to go with the depth you already have.

bcosu

i think you hit the basics on your first try which takes others many tries (including myself). calves appear to have some hip, muscle shape and some hair with adequate bone for a steer. they may not  be the freakiest calves in the world but i think they do alot of things nicely and should develop into some nice steers.

RSC

I'm hearing good things as well about Tycoon, might be a good one to consider,

Chap

if your cows are really sound, try Alias,  I have a couple out of 1/2 Char cows that I like really well.  I have a good friend that used Tycoon on his 1/2 Char cows and seems to love those calves as well..

bjkoller

Thanks everyone for your input.... please keep it coming!  Tonight I will post pictures of another calf that I didn't have pics of this time.  I would like "freakier" front ends also but it is always good to hear we don't have our "barn goggles" on and think they are better than they are.  We live in the Pacific Northwest and while there is a lot of club calf stuff going on, there really aren't that many people heavy into it like in the midwest, etc.  We have attended Jr National Charolais shows and are always impressed with what you all have out there!

Also appreciate the bull suggestions and have looked up most of them.  Really want to stay PHA and TH Free.... if I can?

Looking forward to more insight....

shortyjock89

I think Hannibal, Who Made Who, and Dr. Who would work good on your cows.  Nice calves too, by the way!

RSC

Olson Family Shorthorns said:
I think Hannibal, Who Made Who, and Dr. Who would work good on your cows.  Nice calves too, by the way!
  These bulls would work well for TH & PHA free bulls.  Another bull that's clean that I've seen some real nice smokes out of at Freddy's is Success.  Low bw's and no problems with rat-tails!

Tony