insecticide tags - which to use?

Help Support Steer Planet:

Diamond G

I want to go get some insecticide tags for my calves. Which brand or insecticide ingredient is the best to use in the south? (florida)

ejoe326

I don't like them much either.  We did get desperate and put in Double Barrell VP during a bad pink eye outbreak last year.  It probably helped a little.  But like XBAR I watched flies crawl or fly from the eyes and ears to the tag. 

They were expensive and the pinkeye implant did a much better job than the tags.

BTDT

I am not in Florida, but I really like the Double Barrel VP's. I use them in conjunction with "fly mineral", and pour on.  They are usually effective for about 2 months for face flys.
I am sensitive to organophosphates, so they make me "sick" for a day or so be careful and wear latex gloves and long sleeves.
Bayer tags are also pretty good, but they seem heavy for small calves.

Corriedalesrock

We aren't a big fan of the tags either but when we occasionally use them we use the Patriots. But typically we have a cattle fly spray water mix (SUPER STRONG) that we spray on all of the cattle every 1-2 months.

ssr

I have used fly tags on Hereford cattle and they are one tool I would not be without the Bayer ones are the best do not just buy the cheep ones use the better ones and make sure that you use other things to help keep the flys down mineral with fly control and pinkeye vaccine are also important tools

leanbeef

I use tags as part of our fly control program...I wouldn't rely on tags alone to BE my fly control program. They help some, but you need other methods in conjunction. The key is rotate active ingredients each year...just rotating brands of tags isn't necessarily enough.

I also use pour ons and mineral, and I try to hold off until around June 1 to put tags in, otherwise they play out long before the end of fly season.