Interesting in showing beef once again...

Help Support Steer Planet:

Which breed would be great

• Shorthorn

Votes: 5 20.8%
  • Angus

Votes: 2 8.3%
  • Galloway

Votes: 1 4.2%
  • Limousin

Votes: 1 4.2%
  • Hereford

Votes: 4 16.7%
  • Crossbreds

Votes: 8 33.3%
  • Other-Please comment on any other breed

Votes: 3 12.5%

• Total voters

taylor tay

Okay so I am from Shell Lake and I am interested in showing beef cattle once again. Last year I showed a Shorthorn market steer named Johnny Cash and I was proud of him.  I had no idea what I was doing and if I was doing anything right.  I was wondering if there are any market steers for sale for next years show season? I will be showing them at the end of July. And I would like if they would be close to Wisconsin. Thank you so much also if anyone could give me any more information on showing and selection and grooming that would be great. <cowboy>

I will be showing at county fair

LLBUX

I voted Belted Galloway due to the honesty and integrity of thye folks raising them.  It is not nearly as cut-throat as other breeds tend to be.
Breeders tend to be older and are very supportive of juniors.  There are many programs available for the juniors too.

Southern WI has a number of breeders and the Beltie show in Milwaukee is a good one.

Good luck to you!

J

JTM

Since you had a Shorthorn and everything went well then my suggestion would be  another Shorthorn. It's a lot harder to compete in the crossbred classes also.

twistedhshowstock

First I think you have to say what level of show you are going to?  Are you just going to your county show again or are you going to try for your state fair there?  If only going to county show does your county break them down by breeds, or do the steers just all show together.  Reardless I think I would cross the Galloways off my list, nothing against the breed, but I dont know any show giving Galloway steers their own class so they would most likely show with the AOBs and I think you would have a hard time finding a Galloway to beat some of the other steers that would be in there at the State Fair level. 
If you are in fact showing at the State Fair level, then any breed could work.  Remember that at the State Fairs the Cross, AOB, Simmi, Char, Shorthorn, Maine, Chi steers are ussually the tougher divisions. SO you may want to consider one of the other breeds that gets its own breed.  It all depends if you are trying to make yourself more competitive or if you are just looking for a breed that you enjoy.
I have no idea how competitive or big your county fair show is. If like a lot of counties it doesnt break the steers into breeds, then I would say one of the breeds I named above as the tougher divisions at state fairs are going to be your better divisions. 
All that being said, it is possible to find good ones in all breeds.  I think the first thing to consider is your budget, the lesser contested breeds are often a little cheaper to be competitive in.  The most important thing I think is for you to pic a quality calf and do the best job you can with it.  Learn along the way and in the end be happy with your efforts knowing you did the best job that you could.

Boot Jack Bulls

I'm just south of you and if you would like to get some experience, we might be able to help you out. I'll shoot you a pm. As far as what breed to go with.....
"Breed what you love!"