Internet Problems

Help Support Steer Planet:

Cowboy Up

I have been having internet problems the last week or so, but the last couple days it has been working fine, and now it started acting up again today. It will load some sites, but not others. Does anyone know what the cause is for this, or what I could try to do to fix it? The last time it did it was when we had that arctic cold front come through, and now we had another front come through today. Could there be a connection?

Thanks,
CU

shortyjock89

If you have wireless, you might need to reset your router.  I know that if ours is actin funny, that can fix it a lot of the time.  What error does the web page display when it won't load?

Cowboy Up

It is not the home page, just certain websites like weatherunderground.com, hotmail.com, fatsteer.com and a few others. It says the connection was interupted. How do I go about reseting the router? and will it mess up any of the settings that I will need to go back and reset as well?

jason

I assume your are using internet explorer, wouldn't hurt to download either firefox or google chrome.  From there you can try to visit the sites that don't work and if they come up on those browsers you know your internet connection is fine.

www.mozilla.com
http://www.google.com/chrome

If you want to stick with internet explorer, I would go and clear your cookies, browsing history, and cache.

Cowboy Up

I am running firefox, and the sites will not work on IE either. I found the reset button on my router, but will it reset ALL SETTINGS if I do reset it? Because I don't want to have to reset all the things that are set on it.  :)))

jason

Cowboy Up said:
I am running firefox, and the sites will not work on IE either. I found the reset button on my router, but will it reset ALL SETTINGS if I do reset it? Because I don't want to have to reset all the things that are set on it.  :)))

Yes it will reset all your settings

jason

Well got me stumped.

You can try holding down ctrl and than refresh the website and that should force it reload the page.

Other than that you can try to renew your ip address by going to
Run
type "cmd"
when it opens command prompt
type ipconifg /renew

klintdog

What type of broadband are you on? We have satellite here and anytime the weather gets ugly our connection gets spotty.

cpubarn

Do not underestimate the power of just unplugging the router and modem at the same time then plugging back in.

With satelite internet I did that a lot.

Also do what Jason said, then also watch and make sure something isn't downloading a big update in the background (would not run this long...)

Mark

dori36

Cowboy Up said:
I have been having internet problems the last week or so, but the last couple days it has been working fine, and now it started acting up again today. It will load some sites, but not others. Does anyone know what the cause is for this, or what I could try to do to fix it? The last time it did it was when we had that arctic cold front come through, and now we had another front come through today. Could there be a connection?

Thanks,
CU

If you're on a satellite service, I think you can blame the crazy weather all over the country.  I used to use Hughesnet and had that sporadic loss of some connections often enough that I cancelled it and went to Sprint Mobil Broadband.  Now, where I am for the winter, I have cable.  I also use Firefox and find that sometime I have to delete all the 'personal information'.  That includes emptying the cache, erasing all the browsing history, and clearing all the cookies.  You don't need to clear any saved passwords, etc. Those sections just get so packed with info that clearing them sometime gets things back to normal.  On my version of Firefox, I go to the dropdown menu, "Tools", and then select "Clear Private Data".  From there, I can pick and choose which to clear.  I choose the ones I mentioned above.  Don't worry about losing cookies - the various sites will quickly replace them!  You will, however, probably have to re-enter some passwords one time when you browse to sites like Yahoo or Hotmail if that's where your email resides.  Good luck!