Iowa Beef Expo

Help Support Steer Planet:

PLKR

Brad,
I'm glad you agree on the quality of the Herefords at Denver.  After walking through the Angus, Herfs, Charolais, Shorthorns, and Simmentals, I thought the Herefords were easily the deepest in quality.  Of course, I might be a bit biased - we've raised Herefords for a long time - but I'm glad to hear your unbaised opinion is in agreement with mine.  No need to scratch your head - Hereford breeders have worked very hard in the last decade to improve quality, and it is certainly being noticed by "cowboys" from other breeds. 
Thanks again for the Herfy compliment!

shortyjock89

jbh said:
Olson Family Shorthorns said:
I'll be there working on a Hereford bull....I know I know...I'm gonna turn into an Onion Head breeder if I keep this up...

I hate to tell you my unbiased opinion.....but if you painted everything black in the yards and on the hill......the Herefords SMOKED everybody, as far as bone, butt, body and look!  Sure got me scatching my head!

Yeah I know it, the Herfs sure were somethin to see this year!  I was telling the guy I went with (Hereford breeder) that I've never seen so many good Herefords in all my life. 

CAB

I too am usually blown away by the Herefords that show up in Denver. The Herefords were outstanding @ the Royal this year also.
  Brad, if you want to evaluate some "Black Herefords" come on up. The neighbor has quite a herd of reg. BHs.

Chap

Chap said:
We will have 2 bulls in the Chi Sale on Thursday 2/12/09.  Look For Sugar Creek Farms in the Chi aisle.  Will be back again for junior weekend to help out on some calves we sold.

Got one of the bulls roughed out and a quick pic.  SCF Black Jack U52. Texas Hold Em x SimAngus .  THC, PHAF.  March calf.

Attachments

• U52 2.jpg
    U52 2.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 137

Steer Boy 101

Black herefords are awsome. actualy i just like baldies but as far as the open show at my county fair is conserned they are placed with the rest of the purebreds of mine just for ease of takeing care of em. they dont show in oopen just jr crossbred but they make some darn nice cows. Yes i was at denver with a hereford breeder. we sat down and figured the price of the top 4 or 5 to be at LEAST 70 thousand based on a class that the first place heifer was sold for like 40 half intrest. its nuts. he got second in one class and the calf sold for 7200. it was a middle of the summer calf. least compition too. its nuts.

lowann

We sold a red steer that will be shown Saturday morning in the Chi junior show.
We will be there Friday-Sunday.

CAB

Chap, your Hold'em bull looks good. We're planning on taking a Hold'em heifer up & show her Chi breeding, March 29th heifer. Good luck with your bull. Brent

herfchic

I might be there Tuesday through Thursday for the Hereford sale, but it depends on how my basketball regional goes. 

justme

This is our consignment to the Iowa Beef Expo...more can be read at www.iowamaineanjou.com

He was Reserve calf champion at the 2008 Maine anjou World show (American Royal)
2008 Champion Maine Bull Missouri State Fair 4-H show
2008 Champion Cow Calf Pair (dam 1st calf heifer) MO state fair 4-H and open shows
He's also been champion Maine over 8 other times while still on his dam

Major's Money Man x Majors Delilah (HAA Stockman x Calberta Hustler)
78 pound birthweight unassisted from 1st calf heifer
March 2, 2008

His dam has been a spectacular show heifer and now is proving her weight in gold with her first calf.  She came from Major's Maines and were forever grateful to Major's for fixing us up with her.  She's been Champion maine over 22 times in her show career.  We belive in the cow family tremendously.  We own a full sister to Delilah and also own her dam now.

This picture doesn't do him justice now, he has gotten better everyday.  A truely promotable bull here...an outcross to all those calving ease, clubby genetics out there.  No Ali and no Hardcore.  He's THF and PHAF.  I just think on a THC or some of these Clubby genetics he'd hit a homerun.  Calving ease, without giving up preformance.  He's big boned, little headed, thick topped, and has a huge butt.

Attachments

• mucho[1].JPG
    mucho[1].JPG
    97.7 KB · Views: 438
  • cowcalf pair mo state fair.jpg
    cowcalf pair mo state fair.jpg
    536.3 KB · Views: 435

oakbar

Hey Chap,

Nice looking bull.  I plan to be there for the Maine sale on Thursday so I'll try to look you up!!

Oakbar

Throttle

Anyone know or heard thru the grapevine which of the clubby bulls will be on display? What days are the bulls displayed out there?

jbw

I heard that Mark Johnson has a killerer Hannibal going to the Chi. sale.

justme

Not yet, he's only a March  baby.  Were are obtaining 100 straws for in herd use so I'm hoping the new owners will collect him and market him.

CAB

Gidget, will you come back up for the Jr. show? If so it will be nice to hopefully see you. Good Luck with Mucho Denero. Your Friend Brent

justme

no we have to get home...5th grade basketball tourney and mini wrestling on the weekend.  Wish I could but just cann't see how I can be in one more place at the same time lol.  Maybe you should sneak up for the sale and be part of the mucho crew!

Latest posts