Iowa State Fair Steer Show

Help Support Steer Planet:

iowabeef

Just about 3 weeks away, how do you think the Granddaddy of them all-the Iowa State Fair Steer show-is going to turn out.  Numbers for the IJBBA circut have been unusually low in general this summer and so wondering if you thought the numbers would be down at state also.What is looking good? Anything going to top the "clones"?

advocate

The clones will be very hard to beat but you never know what tracy and wade are hidin either

forcheyhawk

I don't have any predictions.  Most of them I haven't seen since the Winter Beef Expo.  One question - do you guys think that the junior shows should be more accomodating to the cooler cattle and have more shows in the winter/spring?  I've often wondered if that wouldn't bring a few more out.  At any rate, I'm getting excited.  Should be fun. 

iowabeef

I have heard that Sullivans have one hiding in the cooler that has never been shown and is pretty impressive....

chevelle

Heard they r going to be cracking down this year on the butt pumping. 

ZNT

forcheyhawk said:
I don't have any predictions.  Most of them I haven't seen since the Winter Beef Expo.  One question - do you guys think that the junior shows should be more accomodating to the cooler cattle and have more shows in the winter/spring?  I've often wondered if that wouldn't bring a few more out.  At any rate, I'm getting excited.  Should be fun. 
Make the state fair, along with all the jackpots and county fairs slick shear, and you will get a whole lot more out of the coolers. PERMINANTLY!  I don't care for slick shows, but it addresses the cooler issue.

iowabeef

So, back on track here.....what calves are out there that will do well at the Iowa State Fair....I know McDermott's have a nice red steer ...

diesel

that is a ok calf but i think u will see some alot betr when the big boys show up to play

OH Breeder

ZNT said:
forcheyhawk said:
I don't have any predictions.  Most of them I haven't seen since the Winter Beef Expo.  One question - do you guys think that the junior shows should be more accommodating to the cooler cattle and have more shows in the winter/spring?  I've often wondered if that wouldn't bring a few more out.  At any rate, I'm getting excited.  Should be fun. 
Make the state fair, along with all the jackpots and county fairs slick shear, and you will get a whole lot more out of the coolers. PERMINANTLY!  I don't care for slick shows, but it addresses the cooler issue.

Hair can be grown without a cooler. Takes more time and energy but it can be done. If you ever have put one in a cooler it is not as easy as it sounds. I don't think hair is the issue. Judges are creating the demand in the show ring and if they continue to pick fluff balls that is what will continue to win.  I know that isn't your point, but I have always found growing hair a challenge that makes it that much fun.
Goodluck to all those exhibitors in Iowa. When is the show?

iowabeef

Looking over the pics of some of the other state fair's final drives, I noticed some really nice cattle but makes me sooooooooooooooooo thankful for the Iowa State Fair!!!!!!!  There is nothing like the feeling of being in that historic livestock pavilion with a packed to the roof crowd.  The support of this grand event I believe is unmatched at state fairs throughout the country. It is truly an EVENT and anyone who has a chance to be a part of the Iowa State Fair 4-H Final Drive will never forget it.  Fair starts tomorrow and hope everyone has safe journeys to the fair and hopefully the flooding stops.  "Our State Fair is A Great State Fair-Don't Miss it Don't Even Be Late! It's dollars to donuts that our state fair is the best state fair in our State!" (clapping)

vc

How many state fairs do you have in your state. We have one and it is the best state fair in our state also.

iowabeef

Hey VC-The post was in reference to the song "Our State Fair" from the broadway musical "State Fair"....based on the Iowa State Fair.....Sorry for the obscure reference.
Watched some of the FFA Breeding show today....THANK GOD the Pavilion is air conditioned.....
Governor's Charity Show on Saturday...some nice looking steers on display.  Ticknors is really powerful and showy...about 5 or 6 that will be tough.