Is Aging a new problem?

Help Support Steer Planet:

Is incorrect aging becoming a problem in the industry?

• Yes

Votes: 36 83.7%
  • No

Votes: 7 16.3%

• Total voters

Show Dad

There is a day coming when they will take a swab of an animals spit and be able to tell its age with in 5 days of its birth. And do it almost instantly. It will be interesting to see how many shows and associations won't adopt such tech.
Just say'n
SD
<alien>

LLBUX

I saw several calves sold last fall with frost bitten ears.   
March April and May must have brutally cold on their farms last year.

Steve123

As a judge it is not your job to be the "morals police". You can only deal with the information that is presented to you and make decisions based on what you have in front of you.  When you start to assume who is being honest or not you will get into a lot of trouble, even when it is blatantly obvious. 
When I was judging showmanship one time I put a girl in fourth with a beautiful heifer that was fitted to the nines (and so was the girl). I suspected she hadn't done any of the work and after the interview questions it was confirmed.  On the mic I said "Someone has been doing a lot of work on this heifer and I don't think its the girl on the halter". The Dad and brother (both spotless and well pressed) chewed my ass after the show.  I should have said "The girl in fourth has a very well presented heifer but just wasn't sure about the answers to my questions today."
Its all about what you say not what you think.

sizzler14

LLBUX said:
Some of April and May I completely agree with you on. But March I will completely argue with you on. We won our state fair this past year with a march calf. the show was in august and he weighed 457. HE 100000% was born  march 2nd. He was brutal cold that night. we put a calf jacket on him and he lived, but he lost his ears and tail. I also had a heifer that was born march 7th that also lost her ears. Now the funny part is i had 5 January calves, and believe it or not, not a single one got frost bite.  If a calf has frost bit ears in May, they are really lying. If they do in March, I will testify there is one hell of a chance they're being completly honest about it because as I learned last year it really is possible

hevmando

LLBux,  I know it happens BUT we have a March 2 Rumor Mill steer calf with short, frost bitten ears.  Took him in the garage with heated blower to warm him and his ears up.  -15 degrees with 20 mph winds in MN.  :) 

GoWyo

We tipped some ears on a couple of late calves born the weekend of Mother's Day 2014 with a freak blizzard that dumped a foot of snow, temps down in low 20s and winds gusting 30+ mph.  The week before I thought we were out of the woods on spring blizzards, but we weren't.  Might have to try and pass them off as fall 2014 calves.

Show Dad

Steve123 said:
You can only deal with the information that is presented to you and make decisions based on what you have in front of you.

DISCLAIMER: Please no one take this as a personal dig but an insightful rhetorical question proffered to provoke thought and discussion.

So are judges saying that they are comfortable with making their decisions based on inaccurate or fraudulent information? And then judges wonder why some think they can't sift their way through a wet paper sack. Its sort of a cop out really. But it's a cop out to expect judges to be the sole enforcer of such infractions.

SD
<alien>

cowpoke

Its like when they say car racing started when second was built only in this and many cases when second animal was shown.

Cattle Cards

Show stopper 95 said:
Come to texas, if you think it's bad where you are  (lol)

Ain't that the truth.  In my opinion, it is particularly bad in the AOB and ORB classes here in Texas.  You know, with those steers that ended up with the wrong parts.  Well, I like what they did at a Jackpot Show in Oklahoma recently.  They put those in a "Commercial" heifer class and showed them all by weights.  What a difference.  I'd like to see them do something similar here.

Personally I can't age one because I only have a few cows and I share everything on social media.  They're my kids.  Everyone knows when mine are born.  First "haircuts", etc.
<cowboy>

aj

Waited.....and then rode a elevator....in a motel couple years back.....with Bucholtz. I think we discussed wheat pasture in Texas if memory serves. Genuine dude.

DakotaCow

LLBUX said:

Depends where they are we dont start till the first week of april and it can be a brutal time to calve in the red river valley. Lost ears and a tail on an april 22nd calf last year.

home2012

sometimes the best entertainment can be at a small jackpot.  The following are some remarks we heard in classes this year:

Judge: (as he looks out to the crowd) "Which family does this one belong to?"
Dad beams as he proudly waves his hand.
Judge: "You guys raise this one?"
Dad happily nods his head.
Judge: "Let me know when calving season comes back 'round at your place... I got a set of dogs help you find these heifers just a little sooner"
Kid & Calf set last in class.

(pop)

Judge: "Sometimes I wonder if these breed associations are ever going to get a date of birth right on those papers"
Set middle of class.

(lol)

Gotta love a small town jackpot!!!

b_kackley

That is hilarious! I heard a judge make a comment a couple of years ago after the show while walking through the barns that that smoke is a beautiful Novembruary. (lol)