Is it common practice to pull weight off of steers before a show? Help please...

Help Support Steer Planet:

momof3cowboys

This is our first year year to show and we are hearing talk of "pulling" some weight off some steers in order to be competitive. Is this a common practice? I just worry that it will hurt the calf in the long run but maybe its harmless.

farmershane3

Kid at our county fair did that, only gave small amount of water for a couple days leading up to weigh ins.  He had the idea that feeding a lot of beet pulp the next couple days would just expand him like crazy, needless to say it didn't the kid ended up getting last in his class.

itk

It just depends. For a county fair it probally isn't necessary unless it is very competitive. It might come in handy at a bigger show but you have to be careful. You don't want to shrink him so much he looks out of place and you also want to make sure you have enough time to make him look fresh again. There is a reason a lot of the big shows are now hip height. It won't hurt the animal unless done to extremes, frequently. When a calf weighs1300, in the big picture it is no problem for their weight to vary 50 pounds either way just by the amount they eat or don't eat at a given feeding. It wouldn't be a stretch to shrink a calf 50 pounds just by limiting water and hoping they poop and pee right before they get on the scale. Make sure you know what weight your calf will look its best at. You don't want to shrink it so much he looks out of place. I have seen the whole shrink thing done wrong and calves that could have won shows at the right weight get third in class because they are to big.

farmboy

Pulling weight only works if you can fill the calf back up without giving him a belly ache. Or if the fair has a weighback where you have to way within a % of your original weight. I've taken a 1520 lb steer in at 1440 before and I won the class but was still to big for champion. A lot of steers you see at 1350-75 are really 1420+ and sucked back quite a bit. Take a 1450lb calf next to a 1350lb calf, the paper says they are both 1350, which one has more product? ( granted they are similar quality calves and the 1450lber isn't just a big dopey feedlot calf)

You can use it to your advantage if you know a good strategy.