Is she to thick??

Help Support Steer Planet:

MJRFARMS

A friend was looking at my heifer the other day and commented that she looks to thick. But she is structurally sound and steps almost an inch in front of her front foots track. What do you guys think. She is a Hairy calf out of a Taco cow.

Attachments

• DSCN6730.JPG
    DSCN6730.JPG
    614.7 KB · Views: 191
  • DSCN6729.JPG
    DSCN6729.JPG
    605.8 KB · Views: 198

RSC

MJRFARMS said:
A friend was looking at my heifer the other day and commented that she looks to thick. But she is structurally sound and steps almost an inch in front of her front foots track. What do you guys think. She is a Hairy calf out of a Taco cow.
  Looks like a nice heifer to me!  Is she a market heifer or a breeding heifer?  If she's sound like you say, why not have them thick?  When you get real thick sometimes you get too coarse of shoulders IMO!  She looks fine! 

Starting to hear of some good Hairy calves!  Might need to try him!  I've seen 2 other good ones out of him this year!

Good luck!

Tony

justintime

You have yourself a good heifer, and NO she is not too thick. To me this heifer shows an excellent example of how a well muscled female should look. Muscle and fertility traits usually antagonize each other, but that does not necessarily mean that you can not have a fertile heifer that is well muscled.  I love the muscle expression in this female. Her muscling is very evident, yet she still has an excellent shoulder shape and angle. When you select for muscle in one area of the body, you will also get more muscle in the rest of the body. Usually constant selection for muscling leads to animals with excessive shoulder. That seems to not happened in this heifer. She also has several indicators that she possesses feminity... she has a refined head, a smooth well angled shoulder, her reproductive organs appear to be well formed and well placed. Her tail drops straight down her hind quarter, which in my opinion is an extremely important trait.

Good luck with this heifer, she has some eye appeal and style to go with some pretty impressive economic traits. I hope she continues to develop well for you.

bart22

Nice calf. No, she is not too thick. She looks plenty feminine to me. As long as she still looks like a lady, I like them with a little added stoutness and thickness. Just my opinion.

vet tech

if ur freind thinks she is to thick he or she must be raising sheep :D
really though i like your heifer and she is guna make a good cow

Jill

Your heifer does not appear too thick, but it is hard to tell from a picture.  Normally when you are talking too thick it is more frame size than actual thickness, a smaller framer steery type heifer is when you will run into problems in your breeding classes and you would probably get along better in a market class if that is the case, if she has frame to go with the thickness you should be fine, she is nice heifer, she'll make a really nice cow.

Show Heifer

Back in the day, I had sheep that were thicker than most steers! But of course that was before the freak shows started! And when I was pursuing the club lamb thing hard.  ;D

The heifer is very nice. I think she will do well for you. But, I HAVE seen them too thick and they get stiff, and hard moving. So it is possible, but not in your case. A very nice heifer.

ROMAX

this heifer should clean up in a market heifer show and maybe give some steers are run for the money,and YES she is too thick give her to me!!

box6rranch

My daughter is showing a blue roan this year out of a Lucy Angus and our PB Shorthorn bull. She a BIG girl. Weighs in about 1390. She's super thick but still very feminine. I was always told as long as they aren't sloppy fat you can't get them too big. Seen a lot of shows where that's true. Fair's in 8 days I guess we'll see how she does. I attached a couple of pictures. Not the greatest but it gives you an idea.

Attachments

• Tommy and calves 046.jpg
    Tommy and calves 046.jpg
    753.4 KB · Views: 152
  • Tommy and calves 047.jpg
    Tommy and calves 047.jpg
    933.9 KB · Views: 148

oakbar

I think she looks pretty darn good!!  Of course, we can't see her move, but if she moves like you say there's certainly nothing wrong with thickness.  She'll tell you if she's too thick or not as she matures.  If her stride starts to shorten or if she puts too much cover over her shoulder etc., you'll know that she probably is a little too thick for a top notch breeding animal.  However, I don't think that's going to happen!!  She looks well balanced and, as others have said,  her shoulder looks really good at this time. 

Its really interesting to me how some of these calves will change over time, though.  I saw a Hired Man heifer on a pasture sale in May that I would have said would make an excellent breeding heifer without getting too thick.  When I talked to the people that raised and sold her, they said that she had gotten so thick that she would probably have to be considered a market animal.  That's kind of what makes this business interesting.  We had a Sonny/Myrtle Bo bull calf that we couldn't get anyone interested in last fall so I cut him and put him in the feedlot.  I thought he'd probably be a lot better than most people thought by late spring into the summer.  He got shipped a couple of weeks ago and I'm pretty sure he would have beaten anything at our county fair this year going away.  He looked absolutely awesome!  Wish I could have seen the carcass info. on him, he looked like he had a huge top in him!!  I probably should have kept him for a bull myself!!

Good luck with your heifer--I like her!! 

NSF

my personal oppinion is there isnt such a thing as to thick as long as they are sound and can move and walk without restriction. so without seeing her walk its hard to tell if she is to thick.

TMJ Show Cattle

That's a great lookin little heifer. Tell your friend not to try and buy any cattle for you. What is she?[breed]. I have seen some heifers that showed in market classes go home and become very productive cows.She is one of the better heifers that has posted on here this year.

PaddyO

She is way too thick and not any good at all... Ill buy her for real cheap. Haha.. Just kiddin, I really like her, especially the way her hip ties in.. Nice heifer!

bjs

yeah, I don't think a heifer can be too thick UNLESS SHE CANT WALK or she doesn't have a wide set of hips on her = jacking a calf outta her