Is there anyway you can determine how much hair a calf is going to have?

Help Support Steer Planet:

LindseysMaine_Angus

What I mean is if you go and look at calves and just by looking at them is there anyway you can tell if the calf is going to keep that hair or turn on you and go slick or have thin hair?
thanks

Lindsey

chiangus

Look at daddy, genetics are the #1 factor in hair but obviously environment can play a factor.

mick rems

dewclaws, do they have hair that stands straight up on end between the dewclaws,
tail switch, do they have a smaller switch,
ears, lots of long hair coming out of their ears.
of course genetics, and environment, if theyve been under fans or in a cooler for a while and they still dont have hair, or if theyre not really under fans and they got hair.

also sometimes their legs have quite a bit of hair, the leg hair usually doesnt get lost, unless theyve been in cooler and they won't be when u get them home.

also can u look at their momma. thats part of the genetics. we got one cow that looks like she has a horse forlock on her head, she also has hair legs, her calf his super hairy, and hasnt been under fans at all.
altho another cow, has no hair, and she is nothing special at all but she throws super hairy, thick, feminine, and sound calves every yr.

shortii

Its always nice to have hairy cattle. Just don't forget that hair should be one of the last things you look for when selecting a calf for your next project. Hair wont get you anywhere if they aren't sound.

ChristaCheatham

When looking for your next calf is this the order? 1.Make sure all feet point forwards. Calf should be sound moving with no bucked knees, inward hocks, smooth shoulder, and fit tracks 2. look for a calf that is moderate framed that will finish well for your end show 3. make sure the calf is complete with as much muscle in the front as in the back. 4 look for that smooth topline and full in the flank as well as depth of boy 5. look to see if the calf is neat in the brisket and long necked. 6. look at the calf's pedigree 7. see if you can determine the temperament of the calf 8. for some see if the calf can grow hair without being in cooler. this probably comes from genetics and breed. I'm looking at getting a chi steer for next year? Can they grow adequate hair without a cooler and of course with hard work?

LindseysMaine_Angus

ShowSteerGirl101 said:
When looking for your next calf is this the order? 1.Make sure all feet point forwards. Calf should be sound moving with no bucked knees, inward hocks, smooth shoulder, and fit tracks 2. look for a calf that is moderate framed that will finish well for your end show 3. make sure the calf is complete with as much muscle in the front as in the back. 4 look for that smooth topline and full in the flank as well as depth of boy 5. look to see if the calf is neat in the brisket and long necked. 6. look at the calf's pedigree 7. see if you can determine the temperament of the calf 8. for some see if the calf can grow hair without being in cooler. this probably comes from genetics and breed. I'm looking at getting a chi steer for next year? Can they grow adequate hair without a cooler and of course with hard work?

my show steer was angus x chi maine. he had poofy hair when i got him. i tried working his hair (NO COOLER) training it. (his pen was generally cool) By the time it was june his hair wouldnt stand it would pop a little but was straight. But he still had a lot of hair if that makes any sence. YES you can grow hair with out a cooler.

mick rems

key thing to keeping hair throughout the summer without a cooler, and keeping it trained and poofy. get them shedded out as early as you can in spring, ik you don't want them to lose that hair, but the longer you try to keep the winter hair, the more problems you WILL have. rinse forward always. it helps with training. keep rinsing and blowing and brushing as your shedding out that animal. get the new hair trained as it comes in. i ran the shedder comb through my animals once a week all year to just keep any dead hair out. hair is a 90 day life so you have 3 months from when you get them shedded out and you have to shed out again, especially with heifers, that show all year, you'll prolly shed them out completely more than once.

but my big hint is rinse forward. not just blow and brush forward but get a decent stream with pressure, not a jet, on that hose and really get that hair forward. it pulls it forward roots and all. we just really truely learned that last year and really started using it this year. it works wonderfully.

ChristaCheatham

Mick Rems- Great info! I would also suggest brushing your calf as much as possible with a rice root brush and massage brush. Especially the leg hair so that you can get it to "poof" out and be a joy to fit come show day.