Is this a good problem?

Help Support Steer Planet:

JRapp

My two best steers and best heifer are all out of the clean up bull.  He is clubby bred.  My question is any idea's on how to sell these calves since they are not AI sired?  It seems like if you don't have a good AI sired one that people won't even come look.  I do have some AI babies but not near the quality of the one's out of the clean up bull. I guess this is a catch 22, good thing my bull sires good calves but, who will pay anything for a non AI sired calf?

knabe

has your bull been collected?  if he has, just say he's an AI sire. or pay lautner to buy him.

aj

I heard one guy on here said to mess the caliving dates up a little and bingo you have a A.I. calf. But this does goof pedigrees up. ;D

herefordfootball

People buy good calves... Show them your bull and how he turned out, so they can have an idea of how the calves will mature, it'd be the same if they saw the ai sire of another calf. Be truthful, thats worth more than anything to customers.

Edit: People will buy non ai sired calves, we went out to a farm, paid 600 bucks for a clean up bull sired calf, got champion simm steer at the county fair, and beat out many ai sired calves. The cow plays a part to you know.

DLD

So you may have to promote your AI sired calves to get people to come and look - when they get there make sure they see 'em all.  If they're not smart enough to find the best ones no matter what they're out of, then they don't deserve to feed the best ones anyway.  Somebody will come along that'll appreciate 'em.

Now, all that said, the first thing I'd do is quit telling people they're out of  "the clean up bull" - it's a term that kind of dismisses your bull of being of any possible signifance to some people.  Tell them he's out of your "herd sire" (that is just as true, after all).  Give your herd sire a name - if you say he's out of "Luke Skywalker" (just for example) lots of folks are not going to admit they've never heard of him or don't know how he's bred - they'll be impressed and excited to go ask all their buddies if they've seen any Luke Skywalker calves and tell 'em all about yours.  The ones that do know better will at least realize that you're at least proud enough of your herd sire to give him a catchy name.

It is a good problem to have, in my opinion.  Roll with it.

Ms Ray

DLD said:
So you may have to promote your AI sired calves to get people to come and look - when they get there make sure they see 'em all.  If they're not smart enough to find the best ones no matter what they're out of, then they don't deserve to feed the best ones anyway.  Somebody will come along that'll appreciate 'em.

Now, all that said, the first thing I'd do is quit telling people they're out of  "the clean up bull" - it's a term that kind of dismisses your bull of being of any possible signifance to some people.  Tell them he's out of your "herd sire" (that is just as true, after all).  Give your herd sire a name - if you say he's out of "Luke Skywalker" (just for example) lots of folks are not going to admit they've never heard of him or don't know how he's bred - they'll be impressed and excited to go ask all their buddies if they've seen any Luke Skywalker calves and tell 'em all about yours.  The ones that do know better will at least realize that you're at least proud enough of your herd sire to give him a catchy name.

It is a good problem to have, in my opinion.  Roll with it.

well said
tell people about all the calves you have and get them there to look and they will hopefully find a good one, once they buy and do good with yours they will talk and get his name out there.

JWW

get good shots of your calves when you advertise them and if they stick out as good, as you say people will buy quality no matter what. You can say your herdsires pedigree, like a Meyer 734 grandson out of a Who daughter or somthing to that sort for what ever he is.

i would definately figure out how the cales might turn out, b/c the first thing i would ask would be... how have the rest of the calves out of this bull turned out, do the heifers make good mommas?, do the steers stay structural sound at market weight? if you can provide proof of that or have some sort of clue about it, then you promote your calves, your bull and next year's crop

....so did you do any AIing this year?

JWW

vc

The steers: Find some kids in your area that can really show and feed a calf, give them  deals on the animals as long as they help promote them. If the calves do well it should create interest from others. On the other hand if you sell them and they trade hands a couple of times, by the  time they get shown they will be out of who ever is hot at the time. Chances are they will give you less because it is out of an unknown bull then sale them for more once they change the sires name.

The heifer: as long as the heifer is good and her pedigree is good, should not be a problem to sell her.
JMO

jlingle

I smell blood. 

I'll say your calves are priced too cheap.  You can't even get anybody to come look?  Hmph..... price them up.  If you were in the market for a really good showcalf, what would you rather do?  Drive 4 hours to look at a $800 calf, or drive 4 hours to look at a $15K calf?  I don't know what they may or may not be worth, but it sounds to me like either people don't trust your opinion of your cattle, or you've priced them so cheaply that nobody thinks they're gonna be worth looking at.

Then again, you know what people say about opinions......

JRapp

GoWyo said:
Let's see some pics so we can tell how good they are.

I'm going to try and get some photos this weekend and get them posted.  Thanks for the advise. I have to agree that maybe I do under price some of my animals, but I guess it's just been in effort to get calves sold and trying to help out kids in the area.  Thanks for all the suggestions.

herefordfootball

jlingle said:
I smell blood. 

I'll say your calves are priced too cheap.  You can't even get anybody to come look?  Hmph..... price them up.  If you were in the market for a really good showcalf, what would you rather do?  Drive 4 hours to look at a $800 calf, or drive 4 hours to look at a $15K calf?  I don't know what they may or may not be worth, but it sounds to me like either people don't trust your opinion of your cattle, or you've priced them so cheaply that nobody thinks they're gonna be worth looking at.

Then again, you know what people say about opinions......

Yes and no. Most people dont have the 15k to blow on a calf so they arent going to travel to look at. There are a lot more people that spend 800 to say 2k on a calf than 15k.

sh breeder

All bull start out as cleanup bulls but turn into herd sire after the cavles hit the ground then he turns into the next great clubcalf herd sire then you can sell semem to the rest of use he clean as in th or pha

JRapp

So here is a photo of the great herd sire MOBY, who is a Mojo X Impulse X Angus.

Attachments

• n503056741_2209233_5300897.jpg
    n503056741_2209233_5300897.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 179