Is this a problem that I have to work through or how do I fix it?

Help Support Steer Planet:

fbrmom

My daughter and I have been working with her steer and are having a little problem with him leading.  When I want him to turn to the right and try pushing him away to turn, he will drop his head to the left, rubbing his nose in the dirt and will sometimes even drop down on his knees.  Even if I am at the end of the rope on his right side or out away from him on the right side and try and pull him around to the right, he will drop his head to the left and sometimes even drop down on his knees, he has even fallen down on his right side trying to avoid turning right. Once he even almost flipped clean over rolling his head under his left side dropping on his front knees and rolling up on his neck.  I was wondering if I put the halter on backwards and left it come off the right side of his face instead of the left side always, if him stepping on it and causeing his head to go right instead of left all the time would that make a difference.  I just don't know how to fix this.  Any help?  I will try and get a video of what he is doing tomorrow.  Thanks!

GoWyo

Might try just lifting his head first and tipping his nose up a little.  Once he is responsive to that (may take a while), try tipping his nose up and to the right just to get him to look in that direction.  Then try to get just one step to the right with his right front foot.  Sometimes they seem to get overwhelmed and you have to break it down to little baby steps.

Bradenh

tie his head up all the way and leave it for a good while. make that sucker sore and he will be an angel once he gets a headache and cant fight it

Show Heifer

Sounds like to me his neck might be sore and therefore, it hurts to turn it to the right. How long has this been going on?  Could he have gotten injured but butting another calf? Trailer ride?

I would suggest standing him still and pushing his head away from you, every so slight and gently. If he does this without a fight, give him a pat and praise and try again. Work up slowly until he flexes his neck completely around without ever fighting you or taking a step. Only after he flexes his neck without a fight would I attempt to make him take a step. 

Take it slow. He will eventually get it. And the result will be a calf that trust you not to cause him pain and you can lead a confident calf. Good luck.

fbrmom

I'm beginning to think his neck bothers him too.  I noticed last night when I tied him up he didn't want to go to the right, he was fighting the rope but wouldn't turn so his right side was against the wall, he kept the wall on his left.  I turned him out in the small pasture, about 2 acres with our old dairy cow pet and wondering if she didn't bruise him up. I noticed when I was trying to brush his right front shoulder last night he was jumpy, might have gotten bruised and he is sore, maybe just working with him in the chute for a few days might help instead of making him turn.  Gonna give him a couple days and keep working him slowly.  Wondering if I should put some DMSO on his shoulder and work that in to see if it helps, can you use DMSO on him if he is going for Market in July?