Its Complicated...Who is he out of?

Help Support Steer Planet:

GoWyo

If you saw his ad in Denver, it's not Heatwave, it's not Sunseeker, it's not WMW, it's not  . . . , It's Complicated.

HGC

I talked to Todd back in April and they thought he might be a Yellow Jacket out of a Heat Wave cow.  But they didn't have any DNA results back yet.

I'm not sure if they even collected him.  Todd said he looked damn good, but he was just running around his pasture at that time.

DakotaCow

The sad thing is he was quite a bit better than many of the bulls with parentage. Not super massive but really quite complete and in a very neat made package that could compliment some cows out there!

aj

Goodness....a club calf calf sire that no one knows his birth date,birth weight, parentage,polled-horned?,actual breeder or owner. What a shocker. <beer>

GoWyo

aj said:
Goodness....a club calf calf sire that no one knows his birth date,birth weight, parentage,polled-horned?,actual breeder or owner. What a shocker. <beer>

But they have a leg up -- they're honest about it.

DakotaCow

aj said:

Actually he was an embryo calf and that day they had put in many embryos by many different donars and sires. Somewhere someone wrote down something that was a mistake. Birthdate they have, birthweight they have. I believe he was orginally supposed to be a hairybear but came back TH positive...that doesnt happen when you breed two TH neg moo moos. So they started testing. So here we are today, personally I would like to know who he is out of so i dont double up on any pedigrees.

Okotoks

It seems to me of all the information known about him the deal breaker should be the fact he is a carrier.  Before we had TH testing I sold some carrier bulls and really wish I could have prevented spreading that lethal recessive gene. Now I have had my entire herd tested to prevent ever selling a carrier again.  Check out the thread on the calf born with a dead PHA calf, dead TH calves are not any prettier.

DakotaCow

I have in the past and will continue to use carrier bulls...the solution is simple anything born male is cut and only the truly exceptional and clean get to stick around if they earn it. If not ship em or eat em! I personally love the bull Warrant despite the fact he is a double carrier, and I could not be happier with the calves!

Latest posts