It's Not About Winning, It's About Deserving to Win

Help Support Steer Planet:

simba

Shadow Hill Farm said:
Larissa said:
Shadow Hill Farm said:
Awesome essay! I would like to link this to my site as well!

Thank you. Please do, I'd love that!

Thanks Larissa! I've posted it on both my pages! It's wonderful to see kids still taking the time to do the work with their own cattle! KUDOS!! When I was showing about 15 years ago I had the same problem. I had a registered Angus heifer that I bought for breeding and showing. One year I was taking her and her calf around. I didn't win the show cause of the politics behind it. I had so many people who told me how awesome my cow/calf pair looked. My bull calf at the time was the best (from people telling me and the beef inspector) they had seen in a long while. That made me feel pretty good! They told me I should have won hands down with the cow/calf and the bull class. We didn't. His mother I did win champion in her class one year and that was that. Needless to say a couple more years of showing my bred and owned and the same results cause it was who you knew if you won or not and I got out of it. Now we just got back into raising cattle again for show and breeding. I put a lot of time in effort in the bull selection to ensure quality calves for show and breeding. Everyone who has bought one of our calves has always been impressed. So with that said. Keep up the good work and it's nice to see that kids today still care about the work they put into it!! Keep up the good work!!  <party> (clapping)
If you would like to check out the link I posted your essay on by all means do so and feel free to join!
https://www.facebook.com/SHFA21

I checked it out on facebook, Thanks for posting it! And thanks to everyone who has like my faceboook page https://www.facebook.com/pages/Barefoot-Polled-Herefords/130977730337906

J2F

Their is a lot that some of us older people could learn from you. There are so many post on message boards complaining about the way other people live and run their lives and operations. You set a great example of worrying about you and your operation, working hard, being determined and sticking to your guns of what you think is right and as in most cases it payed off for you. Congratulation and good luck though people like you don't need it.... you work for it.   

CAB

Larissa, great essay. You have things in perspective and your furture looks bright. Thanks for sharing your insight with us. Very well put together. Brent

Okotoks

That's a great essay and a greater philososphy.  (thumbsup)

Limiman12

Lost a calf today, lost it even though everything was as could as we could have it......  Had high hopes for the calf, my wife asked me tonight if the heartache was worth it.......  Had to find this to read it, reading it makes me feel the satisfaction when things go right......  Lifted my spirits tonight, thanks again......  Well the crown and seven helped too

loveRedcows

What a wonderful essay.  This young lady gives me hope for the future of our youth!  As a breeder, we also show what we raise and are proud of them whether they stand first or last.  Congratulations and I truly hope you can keep that attitude through your show career.

simba

Thanks for bumping this up, I'm really happy so many people are enjoying this essay. I've been getting a few pm's about it, so I'll just post here that yes, please feel free to post/share it, I just ask that you keep my name attached. Thanks Jason/Steerplanet for allowing me to share my essay.