jakes proud jazz calves

Help Support Steer Planet:

osfcattle

the calf in my profile picture is a jpj heifer and we r going to have several more jpj calves, i was just wondering what would be a good bull to cross with these heifers?

cattlefarmer

The first question is what do you want to do?  Do want show cattle, raise bulls for commercial guys?  Also makes a difference what the pedigrees are of the cows the jpj  calves are to really recommend bulls  imo. 

osfcattle

i'm really hoping to raise show calves out of her. -0.4 bw 8.0 weaning 12.9 yearling 1.0 milk, and another thing why are shorthorn epds so dang low compared to angus?

mark tenenbaum

HC Touchdown+,ALM Chiller,ALM Surf,Bellringer+,Arsulu Osage+,KABA Double Leader,Captain Obvious,Dv whatever, just a few-all can be used on hiefers,the +deals will be a little larger framed,but showy, the Chiller,Surf-are a little more clubby,the other 2 are more commercial-not as showy on a stout moderate female-good safe bulls to use. O0

osfcattle

Ok thanks. right now we have her bred to boyds new day because she is so small, and we almost messed up one of our heifers by breeding her to Ace of Diamonds, she had a 95-100 heifer calf, when the vet pulled it she couldn't use her left back leg and couldn't move her tail but a month later she was back to normal.

OLD WORLD SHORTIE

What are their bloodlines on the maternal side?

I figure on my JPJ show heifers i will go with a ROANOKE FLASHBACK 704 a low bw TPS Corenet Leader 21st son for their first calve.
flashback1.jpg
BW:-1.4 TH free - White

The reason i used JPJ was to not have calving problems on my Trump and Rodeo Drive bred show heifers. So staying with the same reasoning  the JPJ calves will be bred back to a low bw bull and just sell those calves.The second time around i will go with a CF Trump son bull, and clean up with our Bloodstone son.

OH Breeder

What was her BW and her mother's BW? Just because she is out of a calving ease bull doesn' tmean she will throw the same bw. do your research and breed carefully. Looks like she is bred so this will be her Second calf? ONce you get the first one out you will have more of an idea of how shes gonna calve.

osfcattle

OH Breeder said:
What was her BW and her mother's BW? Just because she is out of a calving ease bull doesn' tmean she will throw the same bw. do your research and breed carefully. Looks like she is bred so this will be her Second calf? ONce you get the first one out you will have more of an idea of how shes gonna calve.
her birth weight is-0.4 and her her mother's is 1.9. yes we have her bred to boyd new day, i ask some friends of our about him and they said he throws small calves but they will grow fast. i was just wanting some ideas for the second time we breed her we thought about Sin City what do you think

Dvrom

osfcattle said:
OH Breeder said:
her birth weight is-0.4 and her her mother's is 1.9. yes we have her bred to boyd new day, i ask some friends of our about him and they said he throws small calves but they will grow fast. i was just wanting some ideas for the second time we breed her we thought about Sin City what do you think
I bred my JPJ to sin city this year hoping its a nice calf ;D

OH Breeder

osfcattle said:
OH Breeder said:

Sin City can throw them small around 70-80 and also can throw them larger over 100#'s. Can you post a picture of your cow? I alwyas think it is helpful. So many good shorthorn bulls. Smart choice for first calver! ;)

skeeter

2010 First place light wt Angus in Houston was the first natural calf of one of Dustin Glover's good roan Shorthorn cows and his Looker Angus bull.  calf was solid black, polled and classed Angus at Houston.  we all know how hard it is to get one classed Angus in Texas.  Wound up first place for a first time feeder.  worked really well that time.

osfcattle

OH Breeder said:
osfcattle said:
OH Breeder said:

Sin City can throw them small around 70-80 and also can throw them larger over 100#'s. Can you post a picture of your cow? I alwyas think it is helpful. So many good shorthorn bulls. Smart choice for first calver! ;)
she is in my profiile picture

OH Breeder

osfcattle said:
OH Breeder said:
osfcattle said:
OH Breeder said:

she is in my profiile picture

I have my glasses on and I can not always view the profile pics. Two on my computer your profile picture is a red x.

OH Breeder

osfcattle said:
how do i post a picture

Click Additional options
Click browse it will bring up your hard drive. Where ever you have pictures stored find them and click on it. Open
you have to put something in the reply box after you attach photo.

osfcattle

pasture pic

Attachments

• 206628_10150139751541263_686301262_7061103_2883814_n.jpg
    206628_10150139751541263_686301262_7061103_2883814_n.jpg
    106.3 KB · Views: 195