Jakes Proud Jazz Daughter

Help Support Steer Planet:

Haynes Livestock

I have a Jakes Proud Jazz x Ka'ba Leader shorthorn heifer. What would be the best bull to use on her? I'd like to have a purebred shorthorn calf but I'm worried about birth weights. If you know of any good bulls to use on her let me know! Thanks!

Haynes Livestock

Here are some pictures of her!

Attachments

• rosie1.jpg
    rosie1.jpg
    141.8 KB · Views: 203
  • rosie2.jpg
    rosie2.jpg
    127.5 KB · Views: 170
  • rosie3.jpg
    rosie3.jpg
    131.1 KB · Views: 167
  • rosie4.jpg
    rosie4.jpg
    155.4 KB · Views: 174

TMJ Show Cattle

ALM Chiller could work. I think TM Gus would too. In fact Ace of Diamonds should work also. you would keep the Kaba blood and add a shot of double stuff.

coyote

She is a pretty good looking heifer.
We have been using a bull here for the last few years on our heifers, we have calved out over 140 heifers that were bred to him and we have had no problems. Muridale Buster 2nd 76P

kfacres

I actually like this looks of that heifer... seems different that most JPJ- and I'm prob his biggest nonsupporter!!  How old is she in that picture?  What's her frame size, there's alot of reference points in it, but without knowing the heights of them, I can't tell how big she is...  

Personally, i'd like to extend her out, and maybe a notch cleaner upfront...  I like the Ace of Diamonds suggestion- I think he'd work for that heifer. 

If she's not too moderate, I'd say Wildside.  or if she is...  our Wildside x Vortec bull- who's a tad bigger framed-- but he's not collected yet! 

Another bull that i've used on heifers built like that, as long as their "Clean" is Kool! 

DFSC

We have always used ALM Surf on our heifers and have never had a problem. Our first calf out Surf and a first calf heifer had a very successful show career. Always aim for a small live calf the first year! Good luck!

Jordan

Haynes Livestock

Thanks for all the replies! And for the compliments!  :)
She's 9 months old in these pictures. She's somewhere between moderate and large framed. I think she's gonna be a bigger cow!

lucysmom

We also have a shorthorn heifer, and have the same concerns. We are considering AR SU LU Massive 3140. His
pedigree is not necessarily "clubby" but he's a decent looking bull and clean both ways.  I talked to one of the owners,
and he's used on heifers every year.  Average birth weights are 78 lbs, come easy.  His growth EPD's are not quite what
we'd like, but for the first calf we're willing to compromise a little. You can see him at the Bull Barn website, and he was on
the Shorthorn Association website sire list.
If anyone has used him, it'd be nice to have some feedback about how the calves turn out!

clubcalve

Wow i really like her I agree with the chiller suggestion  (clapping)

Haynes Livestock

Thank you! Chiller isn't exactly a calving ease bull though is he? I just want to make sure she doesn't have any problems this first time around.

Here are a few more pictures of her to give you a better idea of how she looks.. (The last picture is before she was clipped or washed.. she had only been combed. Excuse the mess, haha.)

Attachments

• rosie5.jpg
    rosie5.jpg
    124.7 KB · Views: 174
  • rosie6.jpg
    rosie6.jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 176
  • rosie7.jpg
    rosie7.jpg
    150.2 KB · Views: 176
  • rosie7.jpg
    rosie7.jpg
    128.6 KB · Views: 187

OH Breeder

Looks like she has plenty of size. I would breed her to GIzmo for sure. He isn't gonna give you a ton of bone but he will add some depth and little body. He is consistent for calving ease. If you didn't mind a Durham Red you could use one of the Red Angus sires as well.  I wouldn't use anything except calving ease the first go around. I like the idea of Surf as welll but does ABS still carry his semen?

Haynes Livestock

You all have been so helpful! I really appreciate it. I like having other people's opinions. She's actually my first Shorthorn, and also MY first cow. (Dad's always had Angus.) I also have 6 embryos.. 2 CF Solution x Matindell Rhonda, 1 Double Stuff x Brookwood Charmed Rose, and 3 Sonny x Martindell Rhonda. I hope to have a nice herd started up soon!