Jesse James & I80 bulls

Help Support Steer Planet:

irh

We also like Tiny Tim,  We won Grand Champion home grown spring yearling heifer at the Maine Junior Nationals last year.  She just had an nice easy-out heifer, she has alot of milk and a very good mother.  Easy-out is a good light weight bull that is really working for us also.

Corriedalesrock

There have been some pretty good calves out of Jesse James this year and I hope to see some at the Ohio Beef Expo. But some of these heifers this year are just relly light boned that need some improved frame and add as much power as possible without losing calving ease...if that makes much sense? Tiny Tim is a bull I'm definately thinking about I just want one that will produce a healthy calf from the start, that keeps going.Our family has never been one to have calves with such a low BW.  Like I said I'm trying to find some pictures of these heifers...

Cattle Cards

Craig Mittag posted a picture the other day of a couple of calves in the rain.  Ear tags 38 & 40.  If you look close enough you can see the sire's names written on the tags.  The 38 calf is by Jesse James.  The 40 is by Monopoly.  Look at both calves.  Remember they're bunched up in the rain and aren't looking their best.  But you can see the Jesse James calf appears to be bigger and have a lot more bone than the Monopoly calf.  Just something I happened to notice.  http://mittagshowcattle.blogspot.com/2013/03/rainy-day.html

Carlson Cattle

Corriedalesrock said:
There have been some pretty good calves out of Jesse James this year and I hope to see some at the Ohio Beef Expo. But some of these heifers this year are just relly light boned that need some improved frame and add as much power as possible without losing calving ease...if that makes much sense? Tiny Tim is a bull I'm definately thinking about I just want one that will produce a healthy calf from the start, that keeps going.Our family has never been one to have calves with such a low BW.  Like I said I'm trying to find some pictures of these heifers...

so your saying jessie james wont add power ???

i think he does though

Corriedalesrock

yes it definately looks like the Jesse James calf is better than the Monopoly.. no I'm saying i dont think Tiny Tim will add power.... O0

Cattle Cards

Corriedalesrock, I didn't want to go right out and say it, but yes, I thought there was a lot more to the Jesse James calf.  I was happy to see that.

But I've decided that I will NOT recommend Jesse James to another soul.  That way when he proves to be a good sire, my Jesse James calves will be more in demand and worth more those all the mutts sired by bulls that sold semen with hype and hats...

What some people forget is that some bulls are made in the first year or so because they are bred to proven producers in controlled environments.  Once those bulls are used on the average wanna be producers cows, in uncontrolled pastures, the numbers change...

Carlson Cattle

Cattle Cards said:
Corriedalesrock, I didn't want to go right out and say it, but yes, I thought there was a lot more to the Jesse James calf.  I was happy to see that.

But I've decided that I will NOT recommend Jesse James to another soul.  That way when he proves to be a good sire, my Jesse James calves will be more in demand and worth more those all the mutts sired by bulls that sold semen with hype and hats...

What some people forget is that some bulls are made in the first year or so because they are bred to proven producers in controlled environments.  Once those bulls are used on the average wanna be producers cows, in uncontrolled pastures, the numbers change...

you have a point.

Corriedalesrock

yes you do have a point.. I'm 99.9% sure he will be a bull we use. He's always stood out to me. Thanks guys!! (dog)

Cattle Cards

Corriedalesrock said:
yes you do have a point.. I'm 99.9% sure he will be a bull we use. He's always stood out to me. Thanks guys!! (dog)

I will know in about 3 weeks.  My recently retired show heifer (Heat Wave x Meyer) is due to pop.  I am excited.  And my new "yearling" Angus heifer (8 months right now) will be bred to him this year.  Resulting calf will be 13.72% Chi...and I'll either be breeding the Heat Wave heifer back to him unless I use Mr. Who Da Man 322Y (ACA National Champion Bull).

Carlson Cattle

I think when the same amout of semen is sold on JJ as was sold ion I80 this year...... it wont be close JJ will wis by

GoWyo

Had a Jesse James calf out of a One & Only heifer last night.  Had to chain up and hand pull the calf.  He was overdue by 4 days and has a big round head and big bone.  Probably weighed 85 -90 lbs.  Heifer has not been fed anything but grass hay all winter.  Would not call JJ a calving ease bull.  Same size and shape as our Walks Alone calves last spring from Angus cows.  Have a couple of lower birth weight Maine x Angus cows bred to him so will be interesting to see what he does on those cows in a couple of weeks.

Warrior10

GoWyo said:
Had a Jesse James calf out of a One & Only heifer last night.  Had to chain up and hand pull the calf.  He was overdue by 4 days and has a big round head and big bone.  Probably weighed 85 -90 lbs.  Heifer has not been fed anything but grass hay all winter.  Would not call JJ a calving ease bull.  Same size and shape as our Walks Alone calves last spring from Angus cows.  Have a couple of lower birth weight Maine x Angus cows bred to him so will be interesting to see what he does on those cows in a couple of weeks.
I am not sure if it fair to discredit him as a heifer bull from one hand pull on a clubby heifer, especially when many others have used him successfully. Not saying you are wrong, but the heifer's pedigree can account for part of the problem as well. I had to pull a Jesse James bull calf last year but he was only 80 lbs, the problem wasn't Jesse James it was on the heifer....long story short she has been shipped. That bull/steer calf has turned out pretty dang good too. Anyway I hope your calf and heifer are ok and I hope the rest of your calves come easy and look good! Best of luck!

Freddy

North central -- Nebraska on highway 183 - 30 mi
We have had a couple and they look good to me, both out of X-bred heifers with no assistance ...I agree with MUDDY CREEK  , cause over the years I have figured out that genetics' have a mind of their own ...

Attachments

• 4326-JJ -1401.JPG
    4326-JJ -1401.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 257

Cham2135

We had a J.j bull calf a couple weeks ago. He was big boned and just a bigger calf than we expected. We had to use the winch. He was out of a pb shorthorn heifer so that might have been a part of the problem. Needless to say, we probably won't use j.j on our first calf heifers. Probably will use him on second calf cows.

It's a good calf. I will post a pic this weekend.

GoWyo

I guess I was a little surprised at the size and width of the calf on this heifer.  The heifer, despite being Heatwave derived (One & Only), is a medium sized, very angular and feminine female that does not carry much body width -- basically built like her dam.  The calf looks to have some potential.  He has a very short, wide head.  I had to look twice to make sure he did not have monkey mouth, but his jaws line up perfectly.