JF American Pride

Help Support Steer Planet:

nmcattle

Simmental bull Jansen's just bought. Cattle Visions lists him now. Has anyone seen this bull or have any info on him? He took a fabulous picture but I'm wondering if he's for real or just another Star Power? Could he be better than Upgrade himself? Thanks.

mego

I've talked to a guy that has seen him and he said he was pretty good...nothing spectacular...and was really really fat and hairy. His video is on Janssen's website. I haven't decided if I'm going to use him or not, he looks really deep and is sound..but seems to lack extension and is kind of downheaded. You are right though, he took one heck of a picture. Also I don't know how good of a cow his dam is...but I have been impressed with Upgrade's calves and I have to say that I did not think they would be that good. I have not used him at all because honestly I didn't think he would live up to all of the hype, but with his  semen on the open market now and considerably cheaper than it was, it might be the smartest thing to just use him. Jmo

gary89

When I saw him at stud I didn't think he was anything special. Nothing like the picture. Same with the other Upgrade son Heads Up. On the other hand I was absolutely impressed with "A Step Up." He looked really good. Just my opinion.

nmcattle

Where can I find information about "A Step Up"? Is he listed with any bull stud yet? Thanks.

Simmgal

I checked around, and I'm not sure where you can find A Step Up, but American pride looks pretty nice. If I could change anything, I would change the neck. I really like Upgrade though, and I have a nice heifer out of him.

gary89

nmcattle said:
Where can I find information about "A Step Up"? Is he listed with any bull stud yet? Thanks.

You have to buy a semen package in "A Step Up." I think Dave Guyer is coordinating that. Otherwise check with one of the shareholders and see if you can get some. He is really nice.

cwbyup62

To address some of the comments made about American Pride.  Here is my opinion for what it is worth.  He is not the answer to all of the problems in the Simmental breed and is not going to fix every cow, no bull can do that.  American Pride is very different and he will either be what you have been looking for or he won't, he is very, very different.  If you are looking for a huge butted terminal type sire, he is not the bull for you.  He has plenty of muscle, but it is in a different shape than most Simmental bulls.  American Pride's strong points are his depth and balance, he is extremely good through his lower third.  I get to see a lot of different bulls, of all breeds, but I have never seen a Simmental bull with this kind of depth of flank and heart ever.  When you combine that with the soundness and extension through his front, he is really unique.  For those of you that said he was downheaded, he is just the opposite.  The video of him I did not want to use, but Janssen's did because it shows his soundness.  There is a big difference between a down headed bull, and a bull with his head down.  The video was shot about 5:30 in the afternoon, he had not ate since seven that morning and he simply wanted to eat anything he could get to, he also had been in the barn with nothing to drink and you can see the depth of body he has in the video extremely well.  He just had his head down wanting to eat, he is anything but downheaded, meaning he walks around moping all of the time.  His semen is ultra high quality with noone reporting less than over 90 percent conception on flushs using the semen so far.  Embryos out of him have topped every sale they have been in so far also, and there is simply a great deal of interest in him.  Anyone wanting to see him is more than welcome to go look at him at Strafford Mo.  Strafford is known for pulling the bulls back really hard to collect them, so he is probalby 250 lbs lighter than when the pics were taken in March actually, but that is also how they get big quantities of high quality semen, so to say this bull is fat, I just don't understand that either.  I did photo his mother yesterday and that picture will be posted here and on Janssen's web site as soon as I get stopped on the road.

Thanks

Mark Sneed

firesweepranch

Mark, how long will he be at Strafford? We are an hour from there, I might just have to go look at him

cwbyup62

I appreciate the comments, like I said, he is not the answer to the breed problems, but he can fix a lot of problems.  As it is getting later in breeding season and the fact that he is extremely fertile and producing great quality semen in quantity, he will probably not be there more than another couple of weeks.

Mark Sneed

MSP

Mark, what are your thoughts for using this bull on heifers?

cwbyup62

Personally, I would never recommend an unproven bull for use on heifers, regardless.  I will say that Janssen's original thoughts on buying this bull included having him clean up their heifers.  It is my understanding that they have aied several to him as semen demand has made him stay at stud.  According to Phenotype, his head shape, shoulder design and muscle and joint shape would say that he sure could sure be a heifer bull at some point, but right now I simply would not recommend it because he is unproven.

Thanks

Mark

cwbyup62

Here is the picture taken last week of American Prides mother.  She was brought straight in out of the pasture, hauled ten miles, slick sheared and the picture was taken.  She has been on no feed in the pic and is nursing a really nice little baldy heifer and keeping her in great shape.  I think you can see in this cows how strong the maternal influence on him is and where it comes from, just a really nice, solid working cow.

Mark

Attachments

• proud mama www.jpg
    proud mama www.jpg
    785.8 KB · Views: 388

zak

What's the little heifer sired by that's at her side?

Zak

cwbyup62

To be honest, I have no idea.  We wanted the cow and so therefore got the cow, I was told and don't remember.  He was a natural service sire the man who owned the cow at the time was running and I believe he came from Barry Wesner, but I am not sure.  She is really nice and I am really happy with her as she will sell well this fall.