Jim Williams judging?????

Help Support Steer Planet:

hunter1

What does Jim Williams look for in a fat steer?  I hear hes a really good judge, fair and honest.....

cowman 52

What Jim does depends on What strikes him at the moment.  He is capable of doing a good job and then something will hit him and he goes off track for a bit but then usually comes back.  The guy knows his cattle, can be pretty wordy most of the time, and will always have some story for about any instance of a show.  Predictability goes as far as most, need to be a pretty good showman,  the stick can pull you out of a bind.

Cattle Cards

Jim Williams is one of the best judges with our youth in the country.  You might not agree with how he sorts them, he usually does a really good job, but he talks every calf in the class.  He's honest and fair.  May even "teach".  There's a reason he was voted "Best of the Barns" judge of the year for two straight years.  Love the man.  If you take a good steer, that's finished and sound, you'll do well.  No need of trying to hide something from him.  He'll call you on it.  Never shown to him but seen him judge and he came to me asking to judge the Riley Round Up for MS.  A stand up man!
<cowboy>

justintime

I have seen a lot of judges and I would rank Jim Williams as being in the top 1-2 % of those I have seen. I have not always agreed with his places ( but normally I do) but he has always provided excellent reasons for what he has done. That is all anyone could ask of any judge.
Personally I have seen several other judges that I found very easy to follow, but I am getting very tired of hearing their " canned" college reasons. They are OK for the first few times you hear them but after awhile, I find myself throwing up in my mouth a bit when I hear them. Jim Williams is a great teacher, and he gives reasons that are meaningful and real, not just some flowery comments the judge learned from his college judging coach. I respect the man and feel he is one of the real good ones in the beef industry. IMO, I would listen to every word he has to say. They usually make sense.

DSC

^^  (clapping) (clapping) <rock> <rock>

rackranch

My thoughts excatly.  Also make sure your showman is dressed properly....

cowman 52 said:
What Jim does depends on What strikes him at the moment.  He is capable of doing a good job and then something will hit him and he goes off track for a bit but then usually comes back.  The guy knows his cattle, can be pretty wordy most of the time, and will always have some story for about any instance of a show.  Predictability goes as far as most, need to be a pretty good showman,  the stick can pull you out of a bind.

creativecattle

Dressed properly and have a hair cut. He has used boys should look like boys and girls look like girls more than once on the mic. I always knowing watching him sort the cattle and listening to his stories.

cowpoke

From watching him judge you better be neat and clean have a positive attitude and be able to interact when he talks to you.Then if you have his type of calf you will be successful.I watched him judge ISF and he knows what he is looking for and the type of person he wants to be leading it.I probably cant tell it correctly but one year a young man needed a shave and he called him Whiskers in the final drive as he had took Mr.Williams advice and shaved his facial hair.He noticed and appreciated the effort.Definately not your college type judging team coach.

caledon101

I have only seen him a judge a couple of times and I was very impressed with how kind and thoughtful he was towards the young exhibitors. I don't think you could find a more compassionate and caring judge.