Jobs - N/C

Help Support Steer Planet:

justintime

There is an old saying that says " the' A 'students usually end up working for the 'C' students.I have seen this on numerous occasions and to me it means there is much more to being a balanced successful person than just book smarts. There has to be a balance between the book learning and the numerous other life skills, and this balance is usually different from one person to the  next. Unfortunately, college entrance is usually based on the grades in school so you need to make sure you keep them in line.

I have learned that a college education is not vital for success, but it can be a big help. Many of the best jobs demand at least a Bachelor degree in something. That piece of paper just makes the road to a good job just a little easier. For most of us guys, college is the only holiday we get between our mothers and our wives. ( I am sure I am going to get jumped on for that comment.... haha)

ROAD WARRIOR

About 15 years ago I interviewed for a herdsman position for a reasonably high profile angus ranch. It was explained to me that they were really looking for someone with a college degree, which I didn't have. All I had to offer was 20+ years of experience with purebred cattle covering calving, sales, show and sale experience, fitting, a pretty good background in animal nutrition and practical vet. They passed me by for a kid right out of college that had absolutely no bovine hands on experience what so ever. I took another job that eventually led to me starting my own purebred herd and went on with my life. 6 months later the outfit that had hired the college kid called me back to offer me the job, apperantly college does not teach you everything you need to know about being a herdsman for a purebred opperation. I declined as I had already taken another job and smiled to myself as I hung up the phone. However - If you are looking to get into the business of beef - go get a piece of paper that says you are somebody, it will open doors for you faster than any thing else you can do. Truthfully there just aren't that many "cowboys" left anymore. :-(  RW

yousesteers

justintime said:
There is an old saying that says " the' A 'students usually end up working for the 'C' students.I have seen this on numerous occasions and to me it means there is much more to being a balanced successful person than just book smarts. There has to be a balance between the book learning and the numerous other life skills, and this balance is usually different from one person to the  next. Unfortunately, college entrance is usually based on the grades in school so you need to make sure you keep them in line.

I have learned that a college education is not vital for success, but it can be a big help. Many of the best jobs demand at least a Bachelor degree in something. That piece of paper just makes the road to a good job just a little easier. For most of us guys, college is the only holiday we get between our mothers and our wives. ( I am sure I am going to get jumped on for that comment.... haha)

When I was in college I had a guy that was a recruiter for John Deere tell me that he would I hire a guy with a 2.5 Gpa before some one with a 4.0 because most of the time the kid with the 4.0 stuck his nose in the book and did not socailize very much which was just as or more important than the grade I socialized to much and was closeer to the 2.5 Not saying kids should not study but should get a good balance of life

red

hubby barely made it through school. Hate to say this but after he got hurt they all gave him automatic A's. He can though figure out almost anything electric, design almost anything, build & weld just about anything. He adapts machinery to make improvements. He also pretty much self taught himself how to operate a computer. Design spreedsheets to make tasks easier. He might not be a very good reader but he is a math whiz & although never took the classes can use algebra & geometry. He might not have book smarts but he has life smarts.

Red

fluffer

Eberth said:
I work for Cargill as a Farm Marketer. Basically I am a grain buyer, I drive around and talk to farmers all day and talk about the markets, trends, Cargills Risk Management Solutions and so forth. I absolutely love the job, it is not where I thought I wanted to be after I graduated college last may with an animal science and Ag journalism degree but am very pleased with the job that I found.

So when should be contract or 09 bean crop?  Has it bottomed out?

Fluffer

red

herfchic said:
I go to High School, play two sports, run the calves, and somehow manage to keep straight A's.  I plan to major in animal science and go to Vet school (not sure where at though).  Most of my teachers were ok with me going to Denver, but some of them don't look very highly when I miss school because the vet is coming.  

When our daughter was in school, because we lived in a different county their co fair was different from ours. when I went to pull her out for our fair & told them why they said that wasn't a good excuse. However, going on vacation was OK. Hey, our fair was our vacation!

Red

fluffer

I am a Safety Coordinator/Training Director/ ex Produce Manager/Dairy & Frozen Manager in a chain of Retail Grocery Stores.  We have 9 stores total and I go to each store twice a week.  I walk though the stores and check them out, try to support our managment team, and train new team members on customer service and company policies.  I also work on safety issues.  That is what I am doing with an Associats degree and a BS in animal scienc and ag business.  Ofcourse we have 80 momma cows and my husband takes care of them and works PT for a livestock marketing company.

Fluffer

simtal

Ohiosteerchick said:
zach, you probly want to lean towards a vet because like my dad said to me(im currentey going to take vet science) theres always gonna be sick animals and now due to a lack of vets your pretty much guarenteed a job but thats my opinion :]

You need to have alot desire to become a vet.  Be prepared to be $100k in hole with tuition bills, then buy into a practice. 

LazyGLowlines

oakbar said:
his may set off a firestorm but as a side note-- I hope your requests to your schools have better spelling, punctuation, and grammar than many of the posts here on SP.   If they don't, I can understand why your teachers may think you need a little less travel time and a little more time in class. JMHO

I'm with you, oakbar. Spelling is pretty bad on some of these posts.

LazyGLowlines

I recently retired after working 30 years at a telecommunications company where I wrote processes and procedures. I spend most of my time around our cattle...either feeding, halter breaking, getting ready for shows, etc..  We have a business in construction as well.

reno1014

My family (one brother and six sisters and I ) own an auto parts store. ( Left to us by our beautiful mom) I work there ten hours a day and I also am
a certified Anger Resolution Therapist.  We dont have a bunch of angry people in our small town, so I cannot do
it full time but I really enjoy all the people in our town and love both my jobs. The most important job is being a single Mother (also the most
demanding and frustrating and sometimes just downright tiring but worth it kinda job.)  (He is 16) (argue)

farmboy

simtal said:
Ohiosteerchick said:
zach, you probly want to lean towards a vet because like my dad said to me(im currentey going to take vet science) theres always gonna be sick animals and now due to a lack of vets your pretty much guarenteed a job but thats my opinion :]

You need to have alot desire to become a vet.  Be prepared to be $100k in hole with tuition bills, then buy into a practice. 

precisely the downfall, not sure i want to spend a long time in school as it takes to be a vet.

fluffer

LazyGLowlines said:
oakbar said:
his may set off a firestorm but as a side note-- I hope your requests to your schools have better spelling, punctuation, and grammar than many of the posts here on SP.   If they don't, I can understand why your teachers may think you need a little less travel time and a little more time in class. JMHO

I'm with you, oakbar. Spelling is pretty bad on some of these posts.

Guilty- Product of government schools  (lol)

Fluffer

BIGTEX

precisely the downfall, not sure i want to spend a long time in school as it takes to be a vet.
[/quote]

Stay in school as long as you can. You have the rest of your life to work. IMO\

BTW, I am a Landman for a natural gas company. Good work and pay, great hours and [size=10pt][size=10pt][size=10pt]no benefits[/size][/size][/size]. So make sure your wife has some insurance, etc.

Camo

Im a Real Estate Agent for Howard Hanna. I know what your thinking the market is horrible! So not true, I had a great year! Maybe its where I live but so far so good.

yousesteers

zach said:
simtal said:
Ohiosteerchick said:

Dont be in a hurry to get out of school I went to college got a degree dont regret that at all knew all along I wanted to farm was/am a workaholic went to college took 16-23 hours a semester and worked a job every minute they were open and I was not in class got out with a 4 year degree in 3and a half most my friends went at least 4and a half or 5 wish I would have stayed longer now you got the rest of your life to work and there is more to school than books make contacts, take internships, travel, enjoy life college should be the best time you have

shortdawg

I'm just a poor old farmer ! I went to college, got my degree, and been on the farm ever since. As far back in my family tree as I know, everyone farmed ( just in our blood).

linnettejane

i have 5 jobs...
1.  christian
2.  wife
3. mother
4.  high school math teacher...notice i said math...not english...can solve a pretty mean quadratic equation, but dont ask me to write a paper
5.  farm girl

and guilty of being a lazy typist with everything non job related

(and school is closed again tomorrow...and up checking on pregnant cows, hence the reason for the 1 am post)

Dusty

shortdawg said:
I'm just a poor old farmer ! I went to college, got my degree, and been on the farm ever since. As far back in my family tree as I know, everyone farmed ( just in our blood).

one day when i was in high school i was looking out over the farm with dad and he said "someday this will all be yours, IF you can keep up the payments!"